New Patch release for ShareSpace units on firmware version 2.2.9 affected by slow transfer rate

We appreciate your patience while we have investigated this issue. We have released a patch that will improve the transfer rate on affected units. If you are experiencing these issues, please apply the patch located on the knowledge base answer below.

Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5754

2 Likes

Great!

Awesome! This seems to have solved my issue. Thanks Nik71!

Confirmed increased SMB file transfer rate.

Write: From 8.5 MB/s to 13.5MB/s

Read: from 10 MB/s to 13.5MB/s

However FTP upload is now down to 13.5 MB/s.  Download unchanged.  The patch certainly changes more than the SMB signing issue!

My SS have never been this fast.

Thank you for the feedback Spock, this patch only deals with the SMB Signature signing on the drive so FTP should not be effected by this either positively or negatively.

Thank you very much for this patch.

Issue is solved, good work!

Wow RX speed jumped up to 28MB(230Mbps) and Samba process consumes only 50% of CPU. GREAT!!

Just updated with the patch, results are:

Write: From 6.5 MB/s to 10.5MB/s

Read: From 10 MB/s to 20.5MB/s

Better, but not good considering it’s all on a Gigabit network. I purchaced this for the speed it stated on the side of the box.

Gigabit Ethernet  35mbs

USB 2 / firewire 400  28mbs

10/100 Ethernet  6.5mbs

10/100 is still more or less the only speed it lives upto.

I’ve been strugling to get our domain auth wortking for the last few days.  It’s always been an issue.  After installing this patch, access does seem quicker and some of the pc’s that have not been able to talk to the nas for the last 2 weeks despite me trying alsorts have started working again.

Not quite there yet, but this seems to be a step in the right direction…

PJsmith, have you tried updating your device to firmware 2.2.9 and then applying the patch listed in this forum thread?

1 Like

Ok I admit it I’m an ■■■■■ !!! - what I should have done was be satisfied with what I had, but I blindly went off and installed the 2.2.9 update

I found out that my movies that I stream from the ShareSpace are now jerking and buffering (never did before) - I come here download the 2.2.9 fix - apply said fix - result is they are still stopping and buffering.

The lure of TimeMachine and AFP have now made my unit next to useless from being a  rock solid NAS which I thought was great.

What do I do now :frowning:

Regards

Ump…

I am sorry to hear that, but you answered my question.  I am running 2.1.92, when streaming movie, still it chokes sometimes.  And I am wondering if the new firmware with the patch would help, it seems no.

What is the version of firmeware you are using before?

To my disgrace I don’t know, its the one that came with it.  I had asked it to check for updates every moth since having it (about 9 months) and it always said it was up to date.  Although I seem to recall it being 1.9 ish. However that means nothing because I have 2 MyBookWorld white light editions, on different firmwares - both say up to date on firmware check. WD can’t even sort that out !!!

For what its worth its definitely the ShareSpace because if I move the file to the MyBookWorlds then they play perfect on all devices and at the same time, I am on a Cat5e Gigabit network.

Given the fact that I cant go back to my old firmware - I feel betrayed by WD.  The NAS is now ruined for the purpose I purchased it for.

I am pleased to say that my transfer has increased by ~1.5mb/s on a hard-wired connection via my crappy router. I think if my infrastructre was better, the change would be larger.

I am quite happy that WD is finally starting to take better care of its customers. Hopefully this trend continues!

However, I would appreciate if WD could help some small office customers with their problems. Also, it would be nice to have a direct link to the newest whole firmware download (not the patch). I have figured out how to get this, but other less-technical users might benefit from WD posting them (apparenlly, I’m not allowed to post them due to a hardware vendor contract).

Cheers WD tech staff!

Somethings weird here, I can’t post with my other account anymore

Is WD still working on the lack of speed issue? Uploading at 10 mbs (after patch update)  is still nowhere near the claimed speed.:angry:

Had 2.9 since getting a new 4TB a couple weeks ago… so I don’t have an older baseline.   On OSX 10.6 and hard wired through AIrport Extreme… <> 10MB write and <> 20MB read.  After 2.9 ‘patch’ <> 10.5MB write and <> 18.5MB read…

So, that was pretty much a waste of time…

I have a WDSS8 at FW 2.1.96, would the process be to upgrade it to 2.29 then apply patch?

Exodus, this issue effects Windows users using a SMB connection.

Mark, you would need to update to 2.2.9 first, then apply this patch.