Domain Users & Domain Administrators groups

I have a WD ShareSpace 4 TB NAS running firmware 2.1.92.  I have the device joined to my SBS 2003 domain without issue and can see shares so long as the group is not either Domain Users or Domain Administrators.  After being on the phone with Level 1 and 2 tech support for an hour, they could not resolve my issue.  I don’t know if this is a Samba issue or other.  What I ended up having to do was to create a new security group (Corporate Users and Corporate Administrators), add my required users to the new groups to match the existing Domain Users and Domain Administrators groups, and all worked correctly.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

-Chris

I wonder if there is some kind of damage to the pre-defined Domains that causes this.

Wayne wrote:

I wonder if there is some kind of damage to the pre-defined Domains that causes this.

Have you successfully used ‘Domain Users’ and ‘Domain Administrators’ groups as the authentication groups to the NAS device?  WD seems to support the active directory authentication but don’t really support any issues surrounding problems when they arise.  This should be more of a consumer-level product rather than splitting between consumer and corporate/business.

firmware version 2.1.93  having same issue. please dont update oyur device

Another issue surrounding groups - they are not dynamic!  I’ve added users to the group memberships on Active Directory and the WD NAS does not pick up the new membership.  Every time I add a new user to my environment with appropriate group memberships, I must remove the groups from the authorized list on the NAS and re-add.  Then that breaks other people from connecting.  Is this a problem with Samba?  I ended up just giving public full access to everyone and I am hoping no one at my company messes up the files.

Mine has joined the domain just fine, it just doesn’t see any users or groups from AD.

WD Support was pretty useless to explain why it’s not working.

I’m going to venture a guess and say that this Linux version doesn’t support the changes made with the way Visata and 7 access network drives and shares. I have a network of 20 XP workstations and they can access the drives using active directory authintication without issues.  However, when I was setting it up on my Windows 7 machine I couldn’t access anything after I set permissions using AD user accounts.

Infotech wrote:

I’m going to venture a guess and say that this Linux version doesn’t support the changes made with the way Visata and 7 access network drives and shares. I have a network of 20 XP workstations and they can access the drives using active directory authintication without issues.  However, when I was setting it up on my Windows 7 machine I couldn’t access anything after I set permissions using AD user accounts.

I didn’t have a problem with the NAS AD-authenticating actual individual user accounts; the problem was with the default “Domain Users” and “Domain Administrators” groups.

Now that I’ve upgraded my SBS 2003 system to SBS 2008, the NAS no longer joins the domain since the version of Samba WD uses does not support 2008 AD.  So I’ve got a useless NAS.  I’ve since added another vendor’s product (I’ll post that in another message so if it’s deleted by moderators, this message won’t be affected) and that Samba does have the appropriate support although I have not officially added it to the domain nor am doing AD authentication.

I’m waiting for the next software update from WD to see if they’ll fix the issues.

Buffalo Terastation was the other vendor’s product I purchased.  I’ll update the group when I actually do join it to the domain and get the default Domain Users and Domain Administrators groups working with it.  Could be this week, could be next.  We’ll see.

-Chris

DCCL_Support wrote:

Buffalo Terastation was the other vendor’s product I purchased.  I’ll update the group when I actually do join it to the domain and get the default Domain Users and Domain Administrators groups working with it.  Could be this week, could be next.  We’ll see.

I guess I forgot to update.  Well, I did join the domain with the Terastation and it does seem to work.  Now the problem I get is with Windows and group policies trying to map a drive to the Terastation.  The problems never cease.  But mapping from Explorer and the security groups does seem to work.