Datavolume doesn't exist ! message

if anynone has this problem you can contact me and i will try my best to help you recover your data

Update : I eventually resorted to a data recovery service having reached my personal limits with ssh/linux volume management/time/risk tolerance.

The first one (“cheap”) said they couldnt do it (after charging an evaluation fee and wasting about a month) - “data is corrupted”

The second managed a complete recovery of the data (hurrah!), although they also cleaned me out of a hefty chunk of cash. Still, I can recommend them for the desperate (in Australia).

So, I have my data back (and backed up), but the Sharespace is now completely incommunicado. Unable to connect via ssh, ftp, http etc. even the WD Discovery doesnt see it. Its not even picked up on my router table.

Reset button doesnt work, can’t even restart it without removing the power lead. Green LEDs for power and LAN, but amber for three drives installed.

So I suspect the OS is now defunct. How can I rebuild the OS using just 2 of the old drives (or 3, at a pinch)? I aint gonna use all four because that would put my data in jeopardy again.

Any suggestions? Maybe completely wipe and reformat the 3 drives, reinstall in the sharespace and cross my fingers? Isnt the OS installed on the drives, though - so reformatting them would lose it. But how did it get to the drives in the first place?

All help much appreciated.

Use our Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool to write zeros to the drives.  You’ll have to do the Full Erase and it will take some time.  In any case, once the drives are entirely zeroed out, you can put them back into the ShareSpace and turn it on.  It will take a few hours for the ShareSpace to rebuild itself but once the green light stops flashing you’ll find yourself with a working unit.

Don’t format the drives after you write zeros–just put them back into the ShareSpace and it will handle everything.

Last of all, congratulations on getting your data back!  That’s never a sure bet (as you’ve found out) and I’m really happy you were able to find a company that performed successful recovery.  Please make sure to store your critical data in more than one physical storage device.  I would hate for you to have to go through this again.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=608&sid=3&lang=en

Just a few word to thanks everyone in this thread cause i was able to access my DataVolume after many hours (days) of sweat…

and the worst of it is that i had power outage during the first try of recovering my data !

I just tried a second time but this time i use lvmr1 instead of lvmr and it works !! Many thanks to you all specially fibreiv.

Here’s what i’ve done :

$ mdadm -D /dev/md2

$  mdadm --assemble /dev/md2 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4 /dev/sdc4 /dev/sdd4

$  pvcreate /dev/md2

$ vgcreate lvmr1 /dev/md2

$  lvcreate -l 714329 lvmr1 -n lvm0 (didn’t work with 714329 just enter the value in the error message)

$  fsck.ext3 /dev/lvmr1/lvmr0

Here i-ve got more then 15000++ answers (!!!) to fix Inodes, directories…etc) just press enter key till the end like previous posters said.

$ mount -t ext3 /dev/lvmr1/lvm0 /DataVolume -o rw,noatime

and access your shares by UNC \10.0.0.25 and copy your data.

good luck

I have the same issue only my drives are all showing as failed in disk manager (Storage > Disk Manager)

HDD 4 Unassigned 1.36 TB WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1 Failed    
HDD 3 Unassigned 1.36 TB WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1 Failed    
HDD 2 Unassigned 1.36 TB WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1 Failed    
HDD 1 Unassigned 1.36 TB WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1 Failed

I have even tried moving the drives to another sharespace with the same issue

Any ideas on what I can do to get the drives back online and get the data off

Tried SSH and got the following issue

$ mdadm --assemble /dev/md2 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4 /dev/sdc4 /dev/sdd4
mdadm: /dev/md2 assembled from 2 drives and 1 spare - not enough to start the array.

WOW, WD phone support really has no idea. They say the only solution is data recovery by a third party. I really wouldnt buy another one of these drives, this is the second time I lost all my data on this ■■■■ device

Well, thanks Nathan_H for the instructions on how to completely clean the drives so that I can rebuild a new array. This worked and its now back up and running fine (for now).

I will NOT make the mistake again of confusing a RAID 5 for a backup. I now have my data stored on 2 completely separate items of hardware, and am still hurting from the cost of data recovery. If only WD could create something more than Diagnostics, like a proper recovery system or even a NAS that didnt cause so many headaches… then I might recommend it to others. Overall, its a Thumbs Down to WD from me.

Everyone,

I’ve suffered too much from the WD Sharespace running RAID5,  it failed on my almost once every 2 months and required a rebuild or a very time consuming recovery.  I now use Disk Striping and have not had an issue for almost a year now.  My issue was that a power cut would immediately break the raid5 and then an automatic rebuild of the drive would occur, taking almost a day.  In the case of disk striping, I assume that there is no inconsistency when the data is written and the power interrupted, so it just continues from there.

The proabability of a power cycle is much higher than the probability of a drive failure for me at least.

I still backup to another media just in case.

Well, isn’t this an interesting thread!

Can’t say I’d had many problems with our 8TB device with RAID5, except for every month or two, it’d tell me one of the drives was missing, but SMART always showed it as good. Clean it, pop it back in and it’d rebuild no problem.

However, after it last happened and a discussion with WDC support, we decided to RMA the drive. The new 2TB disk duely arrived, popped it in and it started to rebuild.  THEN, shock horror, after the 60% complete message, it all went to poop and now I find myself with the “doesn’t exist” issue - albeit slightly different circumstance to what others are seeing here.

After reading this and other threads carefully, I started down this path:

~ $ mdadm --assemble -f /dev/md2 /dev/sd[abcd]4
mdadm: forcing event count in /dev/sdd4(3) from 4283834 upto 4283840
mdadm: clearing FAULTY flag for device 3 in /dev/md2 for /dev/sdd4
mdadm: /dev/md2 has been started with 3 drives (out of 4) and 1 spare.
~ $ pvcreate /dev/md2
  No physical volume label read from /dev/md2
  Physical volume “/dev/md2” successfully created
~ $ vgcreate lvmr /dev/md2
  Incorrect metadata area header checksum
  Volume group “lvmr” successfully created
~ $ lvcreate -l 714329 lvmr -n lvm0
  Logical volume “lvm0” created
~ $ fsck.ext3 /dev/lvmr/lvmr0
e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
fsck.ext3: while trying to open /dev/lvmr/lvmr0

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

fsck.ext3:

Despite it not looking good, it seems to be “recovering” something according to the mdadm detail output:

~ $ mdadm -D /dev/md2
/dev/md2:
        Version : 00.90.01
  Creation Time : Fri Apr  3 13:54:17 2009
     Raid Level : raid5
     Array Size : 5854981248 (5583.75 GiB 5995.50 GB)
    Device Size : 1951660416 (1861.25 GiB 1998.50 GB)
   Raid Devices : 4
  Total Devices : 4
Preferred Minor : 2
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Wed Apr 27 11:41:01 2011
          State : clean, degraded, recovering
 Active Devices : 3
Working Devices : 4
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 1

Layout : left-symmetric
     Chunk Size : 64K

Rebuild Status : 13% complete

UUID : b2c561ae:9acfcff0:2594d787:fb4eb047
         Events : 0.4283848

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       8        4        0      active sync   /dev/sda4
       4       8       20        1      spare rebuilding   /dev/sdb4
       2       8       36        2      active sync   /dev/sdc4
       3       8       52        3      active sync   /dev/sdd4

I guess I’ll wait and see what happens, but not very optimistic right now.

If anyone has anything to contribute to my situation, please feel free to do so! :neutral_face:

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I’m no expert at all (I ended up forking out for a professional recovery), but your situation looks OK to me…

Perhaps you made a typo at :

$ fsck.ext3 /dev/lvmr/lvmr0

perhaps should it have been :

$ fsck.ext3 /dev/lvmr/lvm0

Good luck!

1 Like

You are giving me hope, guys (lost 8T of data, Raid5).

I have created the partitions according to your useful feedback.

I am starting the file check but it seems to be getting forever (and only in Pass1). Is this normal?

After:

fsck.ext3 /dev/lvmr/lvm0

e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)

Couldn’t find ext2 superblocks, trying backup blocks…

ext3 recovery flag is clear but journal has data.

Recovery flag not set in backup superblock, so running journal anyway.

NASRAID: recovering journal

Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks and sizes

… and it seems not to be moving anymore (30’ already). Is this normal?

Regards,

Well, it’s not looking good.

Twice now it’s failed during the rebuild process, leaving me with:

~ $ mdadm -D /dev/md2
/dev/md2:
        Version : 00.90.01
  Creation Time : Fri Apr  3 13:54:17 2009
     Raid Level : raid5
     Array Size : 5854981248 (5583.75 GiB 5995.50 GB)
    Device Size : 1951660416 (1861.25 GiB 1998.50 GB)
   Raid Devices : 4
  Total Devices : 4
Preferred Minor : 2
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Fri Apr 29 14:17:52 2011
          State : clean, degraded
 Active Devices : 2
Working Devices : 3
 Failed Devices : 1
  Spare Devices : 1

Layout : left-symmetric
     Chunk Size : 64K

UUID : b2c561ae:9acfcff0:2594d787:fb4eb047
         Events : 0.4283852

1       0        0        1      removed
       3       0        0        3      removed

4       8       20        -      spare   /dev/sdb4
       5       8       52        -      faulty spare   /dev/sdd4

Any suggestions (and thanks for the typo pickup earlier…)

…just as an update, I keep trying to re-assemble and it keeps failing, although it made it to over 80% complete last time.

Considering updating the firmware as there appears to be a raid build fix in the newer versions, but still don’t want to risk damaging my data as part of the process.

So, I’m sitting here right now with waiting for my Sharespace to recover.  After working for about a year flawlessly, it started running very slowly, but I kept postponing the investigation of why.  Finally I decided to shut the Sharebox down.  After waiting 12+ hours I finally just removed the power to shut it down, holding the off button, no matter how long, wouldn’t stop it, neither would the web interface.  BIG MISTAKE!!!

When it came back on-line all lights were amber, i.e. all drives failed.  After a desperate search and much trial and error, and especially with the help in this forum, I was able to get 3 of the drives to come on line as a degraded RAID 5 and then add the 4th drive, which had been kicked out of the RAID due to corruption.  Now everything is recovering but Sharespace tells me that my 90% full drive will take about 10 days(!) to recover. 

If this ends up being successful I’ll post more complete information about what I did (if it’s not you’ll be able to read an article in the SF Chronical about a WD customer who jumped off the Golden Gateway bridge after losing Terabytes of data, including a digitized music collection of 1000s of irriplaceble albums and CD for which the orriginals are no longer available)

But as others have mentioned, sharespace is built using a very basic version of Linux, Busy Box, and  the Linux software-raid tool mdadm.  This is actually a very sensible, and powerful, way to build a turnkey raid system.  Unfortunately WD’s documentation of the the actual underlying system is terrible and there web admin tools are atrocious. However if you read up on mdadm and know a bit of Linux shell programming, you should be able to recover from any situation so long as you can log into to the box via ssh and you don’t inadvertently ‘restore’ your system to factory (wiped) settings.

As mentioned elsewhere

cat /proc/mdstat
adadm
dmesg
logs in /tmp

are your friends

@whydididothat - don’t suppose you know how to get mdadm to rebuild / resync as much of an array as it can??!!

It seems that in my case, the reason it was failing to re-assemble the array was ANOTHER failing drive!! Now, it won’t even get to 1% sync when I force the rebuild before it quits.

This leaves me with 2 drives out of the array ok, and a new (previously RMA’d) drive that had reached >80% resync before the other drive stopped it - i.e. 2 good drives and one new drive that had 80% sync.

I’d taken each drive out and attached through eSATA to my PC and run the WDC DataLife tools - all showed SMART ok, but when you run even the most basic test, I get a problem. An extended test reveals bad sectors and a “repair” didn’t help.

I’m preparing for the fact that the data is now entirely lost, luckily for me, it’s not the end of the world as there are no personal photos etc. - just work data.

Cheers,

I should probably reiterate that not only am I not an expert, but I may well know less than I even think that I do, i.e. I won’t know whether actually recoverded my system for another 10 days.

However, if two of your four harddrives are truely, physically bad, then you’re probably out of luck, at least without the specialized tools of a data recovery expert.  But, having two hardrives fail, at the same time, on a device used for home office or personal entertainment is extreemly unlikely.  It’s normal for drives to have bad sectors, so just because you noticed that on a low level scan doesn’t mean the drive is bad.  So, the first question is: how did you determine that your harddrives where bad? What happens when mdadm tries to assemble your raid using the original drives?

The WDL tools say it’s bad…  It fails the basic test and the low level “extended test” shows a lot more errors.

Perhaps the first drive wasn’t faulty - but every month or so, the WDShareSpace would tell me HDD3 was “absent”, which obviously degraded the array. If I “cleaned” the disk, rebooted the array, it would rebuild. After consulting with WDC support, they suggested I RMA the drive, which I did. When the new drive turned up, popped it in, it started to re-sync and all was well 'til somewhere over 80% complete. THEN, I won’t go in to the specifics now, but ended up with the “doesn’t exist” message, tried to force the rebuild and it fails at some point, showing in mdad -D:

1       0        0        1      removed
       3       0        0        3      removed

4       8       20        -      spare   /dev/sdb4
       5       8       52        -      faulty spare   /dev/sdd4

Where SDD4 is HDD1. I’ve seen it reach as high as 80% on the rebuild again, but now, it’s consistently failing before even 1%.  Consistent with a failed drive.

It’s possible both drive failures have been caused by over heating - but who knows…

When the drives get rebuilt again (when RMA replacement arrives) it’s unlikely to be a RAID5 config!!

@Footleg

mdadm is indeed showing the drive as faulty (which as you’ve stated you allready confirmed using a diagnostic tool.)

But you should be fine, mdadm is showing that you have 3 good drives (two active and a spare).  You could check to see if everything is OK  with them by doing the following

mdadm --stop /dev/md2
mdadm --assemble --update=resync /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4 /dev/sdc4

But that shouldn’t be needed; once you get the new drive and replace /dev/sdd4 with it, mdadm should automatically resync everything.

@whydididothat

Thanks for the response - I’ll check those options out, but my concern is that I think the “spare” drive I the previous RMA replace that had not fully re-synced before the other one packed up - i.e. I think 2 are good, 1 has quite a large amount of sync (>60%, possibly >80%) but not complete and the other is faulty.

Will see what happens.  Thanks again.

Thanks to everyone in this post to share their experience, My situation is as follows,

WD ShareSpace with firmware ver. 2.2.90 with MioNet 4.3.0.8

It has 4 Disks of 1 T.B each with RAID 5 configured and only one Volume. I was unable to access data in it. When i try accessing it on network it shows all shares but does not allow to go in it.

During a data copy process i suppose it reached Full space utilization and then “DataVolume” became unavailable. We tried restarting it but to no success. Currently it is showing alert of " [Volume Status] Data Volume ‘DataVolume’ doesn’t exist!". While all 4 disks are showing “Failed” status and volume as Unassigned.

I feel lucky that this post helped me a lot and did work for me in combination, mainly I followed @footleg instructions,

~ $ mdadm --assemble -f /dev/md2 /dev/sd[abcd]4
mdadm: forcing event count in /dev/sdd4(3) from 4283834 upto 4283840
mdadm: clearing FAULTY flag for device 3 in /dev/md2 for /dev/sdd4
mdadm: /dev/md2 has been started with 3 drives (out of 4) and 1 spare.
~ $ pvcreate /dev/md2
  No physical volume label read from /dev/md2
  Physical volume “/dev/md2” successfully created
~ $ vgcreate lvmr /dev/md2
  Volume group “lvmr” successfully created
~ $ lvcreate -l 714329 lvmr -n lvm0
  Logical volume “lvm0” created
~ $ fsck.ext3 /dev/lvmr/lvm0

Some of output from commands differ from @footleg output above. Sad that during all process i did not take output for you lovely people. still there were little difference than mwentioned above. only that last command of fsck.ext3 did gave couple of lines that it initiated something. then my cursor kept blinking and i waited for more than 50 minutes and to try checking status i cancelled it thru Ctrl+C, then i checked status and it showd 3 drives healthy and first disk as dead (It seemed much better than 4 Dead). When i tried mdadm -D /dev/md2 it showed same 3 fine and 1 dead drive but no percentage against Rebuild status (infact this line was not there) and State : clean, degraded but no mention of rebuild. I think it was due to my fault of cancelling the process.

I did try running fsck.ext3 command again but it said something is busy, then i tried changing lvmr to lvmr1 as suggested in another reply to this post, but it did not work.

Finally i took all drives out numbering them 1 to 4 from bottom to top. Placed them in a system connecting SATA cables from sata 0 to sata 3 in order. Downloaded Fedora Desktop 14 Live and burnt it on CD. Boot this system from CD. When it logs in desktop it gave error on top right bar that i have one disk with serious bad sectors. I did went through this message, there it showed disk problem status, under multi-disk devices i clicked and then selected to mount this volume (it was named lvmr as tried earlier through SSH, so i believe it played a positive part as well). I have copied some 30 GB data from it and it seems fine. Further copy is in progress now, thank you all to bring back the dead data whom i thought lost.

On WD part they must not be serious with this type of support. Believe me problems happen with every kind of most stable product but there must be good response and some resolution. I have no knowledge of linux still you people threw in option which i tried and succeeded, i hope they could do this little thing as well. after all it is their product and i m not sure wether this company’s directors or owner have read through this community data here. Officially i m waitng for their reply to email that i submitted yesterday.