Datavolume doesn't exist ! message

I had the exact same problem and 16+ hours of work later I have recovered all the data and am copying it off.

Disclaimer:  This will not restore your device to normal working condition but I was able to connect to it over the network and copy my data after these steps.  Also the info here is for one RAID 5 2.7TB  volume on the 4TB Sharespace NAS.

Here is what I did.  First you will need to SSH into the device.  You might need to go ahead and update the firmware to the latest to get the option.  I did.  Under the network services enable SSH.

Connect to the device.  I used the free program Putty

username: admin

password: welc0me

This is Linux so everything is case sensitive.

at the prompt type: mdadm -D /dev/md2

You should get a message about it not existing.  If it does then this might not be the solution for you.

Then type: mdadm --assemble /dev/md2 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4 /dev/sdc4 /dev/sdd4

Then type: pvcreate /dev/md2

Then type: vgcreate lvmr /dev/md2

Then type: lvcreate -l 714329 lvmr -n lvm0

Now we need to rebuild the journal and check the FS.

Type: **bleep**.ext3 /dev/lvmr/lvmr0

This will take a really long time.  I then asked me a ton of Yes/No questions.  Prob 1000+ to answer.  I ended up just holding down the enter key to just shoot through them.

After it was finally done I just typed: mount -t ext3 /dev/lvmr/lvmr0 /DataVolume -o rw,noatime

I was then able to access it from my Windows 7 computer using the UNC ( [\192.168.1.6](file://%5C%5C192.168.1.6)) and copy the data off.

Be warned if you reboot the NAS you will have to do this all again.  I’m not spendning any time to learn how to make the config work ever time.  I am just copying off my data and then resetting this thing back to factory defaults wipping it out completly and then copying the files back.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes