Adding drives to ShareSpace 2TB – Which hard drive models are good?

I would like to upgrade my ShareSpace 2TB.  It currently has two WD10EADS-00L5B1 hard drives installed and configured as RAID 1 (mirror).  The “Extend Span” mode is set to manual.

My intention is to add two additional 2TB disks to the system and I also want to configured them as mirrored.  My questions are:

1. Is this feasible?  As far as my reading goes, it is not the officially supported position by WDC, but folks seem to have it working fine.
  2. The next question is probably more important – which hard drive should I get?  WD20EADS are pretty much out of stock in most places.  WD20EARS are still available at some places.  Does ShareSpace support the newer models, WD20EARX and WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN?

Thanks in advance.

AFAIK the ShareSpace will accept any green drive, up to 2 TB.  An yes, is possible to create a dual mirror.  You may contact WD Support to verify if the models you are willing to use are compatible with the ShareSpace.

WDC support, as many have witnessed, is not highly useful many times.  I actually have asked them some time ago.  And I got a standard answer pointing me to a web link, which states that one must use the same hard drive model.  I asked the same question as I asked here, then they did not answer it.  I guess they just do not want to tell me whether I can use the newer models or not.  After all, it is safe for them to say - use WD10EADS, even if they are no longer available.

Thanks for your reply.  I will see if I can grab two WD20EARX or WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN.