Old backup cleanup run as task give status 0x80131604

I cannot find a reference to this error as it relates to cleaning up old backups but that is the “status” I get when I presume means it did not complete successfully.  The Consistancy checker has the same status.  I need to clean out old backups to free up space.  I’ve tried running the task manually but that doesn’t seem to work.

Any suggestions?

What happens if you open the dashboard click computers, additional taks in the lower right pane, tools, repair now

I’m assuming that you mean for me to go into the tools menu.  When I click that, the backup status for everyone goes to “unknown” as I recall, for a while then then comes back.  there is a notation in the tools menu of today’s date but I still cannot force a run of cleanup.  There are quite a few more backups than I have the configuration set to keep and I need the space.

Below is a picture of the repair tool I am talking about.  Backup status of machines will go to unknown while it runs as that simply means it has stopped the client backup service.  If the repair runs fine, I will have to see what I can find out about the status error.  Mine says 0x0 in task manager.

One other thing we have figured out is it does not really mater what you set months to as Many of us have backups going back to 2011.  You have to go into view computer properties on the dashboard and open a backup and change it from automanage to delete at next cleanup beofre they will go away

Yes, that is the one that I ran and it gives todays date just like yours.  I have too many days, too many weeks as well as too many months.  I can manually mark them for deletion next time cleanup runs and a week later, they are still there.

I have also verified that on two others DX4000 units, it shows 0x0 completed successfully.  This one does not.

When you do the repair tools does it take a long time?  I am running the cleanup task now and I just have one pc on this box and it is taking a while.

I found task errors but of course that one is not listed.  I also do not see much in the event logs. Do the rest of the taks in there complete? Alerts for example?  There are some issuse with connecting a computer if task manager is corupt.

http://blogs.msmvps.com/bradley/2011/09/25/task-scheduler-failure-causes-issues-installing-home-server-2011-sbs-essentials-and-storage-server-connector/

When in doubt I always run chkdsk /f/r YMMV

I saw both of thoses posts via Google.  Yes all the other tasks complete except for cleanup and check for corruption.  I didn’t watch the repair run.  I started it, came back later and it had todays date.  I did reboot the server this morning because I got an error message asking me to do so.  It seems that backups had not been done for a few days.  After reboot, backups started again but I’m very low on disk space.  I had previously reduced the number of backups I kept and when I looked, I had far more than that.  That is what prompted me to figure out how to actually do cleanups and I found that task scheduler and this error message.  If you were to go back to posts of several months ago, I’ve had the space issue for a while.

OK, I got both the cleanup and corruption check to run by changing the “configure for” to 2008r2 from 2008.  I do see that the other two that do work are configured as 2008 so that works sometime.  I took over an hour tor the clean up to run.  However it did not delete the backups that I had manually marked for deletion the next time the cleanup is run.

However…well that stinks.  I dunno.  It is a database.  Run the repair again, rinse, lather, repeat?

1 Like

I’ll try several more times tonight.  I’ve set the retained backups to the minimum of 1/1/1 since it wouldn’t take 1/1/0.  If this doesn’t work, is there a way to wipe all the backups and start fresh.  I’m guessing it not a simple as deleting and recreating the “client computer backups” folder.

I am sorry.  I muust not havee made myself clear.  My keyboard actually is bad on this laptop and I am tired of fixing typos LOL

1/1/1  1/1/anything does not work

In the dashboard computers, right clcik one View computer properties>Backups.  Go to an old one and dbl clcik it

At the top right under description is a drop downn that says manage auto.  Change that to delete next time I run cleanup.

I would just do 5 or so to start with instead of taking the time to change 100 and find out it did not do what you expected.

delete at cleanup.PNG

The firstt 2 do work (I Think)  Days, Weeks, it’s months we do not handle peoperly.  Still broke 2 versions later and probably in seeerver 10 also.  Working on it :wink:

Yep, done that. Makes no difference.

Well we know auto does not work.  Manual has so far.

If you right clcik a computer> stop backups> you can keep or delete.  And of course that may not work for you either…

I’ve currently rebooted with drive D: set to checkdsk /f /r.  When it comes back up, I’ll try that.

Any progress?  A budy was having a similar issue.  His D: was full and cleanups just did not work nor backups.  He created some “headroom” he called it (freespace) and things cleaned up and started ticking along again.

That’s what I ended up doing too.  There are about 20 computers.  Only 4 backups were showing for each computer.  I ended up deleting all backups for 12 of them and got almost 1TB back and then restarted backups.  I’m going to watch it very closely for a couple of weeks because I also set the backup copies to keep back to default and I want to see how much it fills up.  I suspect that it’s not saving as much space as it should with multiple backups.

Thanks for the update. Well let me know.  If every machine has one backup the dtabase/client backup folder should not grow that much.  But then again if everything did what it should we would be playing a lot of golf.