Install a valid copy of server 2012 standard on DS6100

Thanks…I will try this…very busy with other things today…

No worries on my end at all. Just ask that you let us know if you try it and it works so we can all learn from your expertise.

Thanks

will do…thanks again

Ready to throw this DS6100 out the window…

I was trying some of the fixes you suggested.

At one point, I took the unit off the domain and back to a workgroup.

When I tried to log back in as a workgroup, it will not accept the original password that I set up.

Any suggestions.

Another day or so and this baby is going to be returned…

Thanks,

Paul

There was just one fix, Log on as a service? 

Have not been looking over your shoulder but the box is supposed to be in that state where it reboots and logs itself in.  You never set a local password yet that I know of.

Anyway’s try Admin@123   with a big A

that password worked…back in…thanks

screen shot of the fix I tried

still not working

Why not do what the dude says  LOL

Define the “Logon as a Service” policy and add the user “domain\ServerAdmin$”.  It should look like this:

tried this again and got the error message that domain\ServerAdmin$ could not be found.

I Googled this and found that ServerAdmin$ is a user that is created by essential server. There was a very long email thread on a work around for this issue, but it never was resolved.

I sent the DS6100 back today.  Thanks for all your help.

Paul Gailey

Jinx, Inc.

Well it was fun while it lasted !  Server 2003 is a little old to be in MS test matrix anymore.  The DS is a nice little box just does not fit all because of the Essentials software.

Thanks for letting us know though.

All the best,

Thanks…we have been thinking about a server software upgrade…I guess this another nudge!

pgailey wrote:

OK I joined our domain…when I try to run Win server essentials, i get an error message that a problem has been encountered. Click retry   can’t get any further than that.

If I don’t run server essentials setup, it won’t let me enter the dashboard

So what do I do next???

Thanks,

Paul Gailey

Wow reading through this thread was mind numbing. Gramps was just feeling his way around in the dark making the confusion much worse than it had to be. If you hate to ask then you wouldn’t put that stupid tag line on every post.

First this user wanted to convert from essentials to standard. Which he must have at least partially accompished since he was able to add it to the domain.  My guess is that he followed the following WD video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT67FPfu81A

The problem is that this video is not complete and leave the device in a broken state. It is not at all suitable for a user unfamilar with Windows 2012r2.

The above user is trying to run server manager or the essentials dashboard to manage his server. Unfortunately unless that roll has been added to standard you can not. Changing to enterprise standard will remove that role. Must watch the 2nd part of the video for the fix.

No he was not trying to do what is in that video.  That is to go from essentials to standard.  He was trying to get the essentials role on his new server connected to a 2003 server as the DC

wow I think your bring is fried Gramps.

See title: “install a valid copy of server 2012 standard on DS6100”

Did you watch the video at all? Or even attempted this proceess?

I see the title of the thread, but if you look at the picture he posted, he is trying to configure the DS with the essentails sku it comes with. He is not trying to transmorg

Gramps,

I do not think you understand the difference between standard and essentials. Essentials is both a sku and a role.The esentials role can be installed on standard as in the 2nd part of the wd video I posted. If the server has been converted to standard with the essentials role installed but not configured, when the user trys to start the dashboard they will see the error as presented in the screenshot. They must finish the essentials role configuration to get rid of that error. If they do not have domain administrator access, they will be unable to finish the configuration.

You can not join essentials sku as configured to a domain as it is setup as a domain controller. If you remove all the role, then add the machine to a domain, then add all the roles back you could be in this situation again. No matter what it is a big huge mess and most likely to cause a lot of .net errors.

I do know the difference between standard, essentials, role, and sku.  You may be right and I may be worng.  I assumed he bought a DS and was trying to add it as is to his domain.  I did not think he paid thousands for a DS and then also purchased Server Standard for another ~ 700 bucks. Plus if he uses RWW he needs to purchase TS Cals.

The picture he provided was the essentials setup.  There is no dashboard to launch until the role wizard has been completed. Whether it is the role or the sku, the wizard is the same as seen in this video at 5:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX5YDmbP1bY&list=PL60buAsYiWUQmr_uXP5D1aMTahDXy6Kk3

His known issue is the wizzard will not run without the Admin$ account.  I am not sure what all your typing is about.  He was trying to configure the essentials role and it was failing

isu-skyman wrote:

Gramps,

You can not join essentials sku as configured to a domain as it is setup as a domain controller. If you remove all the role, then add the machine to a domain, then add all the roles back you could be in this situation again. No matter what it is a big huge mess and most likely to cause a lot of .net errors.

What you can do is when your first fire up your DS, cancel out of the essentials setup and join a domain.  After reboot the essentials setup will see that it is on a domain and complete.  The wizard is the same for role or sku.  But again, his particular problem was his domain was Server 2003

Many many many people have Microsoft site licenses and can install data center on their machines at NO CHARGE.