Very poor recovery method

Hi, New to this forum, but I am hoping that somebody from WD can tell me why the recovery method of the DX4000 is extremtly poor and looks to repesent a 1970 designed product!!!

I think the network ports were disabled meaning you lose any connectivity to the unit… so you have no choice but to download a 10.8 gb iso …10.8 gb !!!   do you know how long that takes to download !!! even on a good link !!!  then it takes an age to write the usb and the instructions are not clear of the fact that the pc used to create the usb must be used during the recovery process…chaps write it clearly in the manual it really helps.

To make it worse I ham now reading articles that say it can take upto 6 days!!! to recover …seriously you have got this wrong WD.

Somebody need to look into this as even a small business cannot be without its data for that long or even the 48 hours that is also commonly stated on the forums for a recovery process.  

Personally if you are reading this …take my advise and buy a Synology box… as a professional in the IT pre sales space in the UK I certainly will never recommend WD again !!!  

Welcome to the WD Community Andy, sorry to hear you experienced problems with your unit. We have passed your case to support, please check your private messages. 

Well microsoft wrote the code for the headless restore not WD and it was almost 10 years ago:).  Things do change.  Just depends on the state of your drives.  If you pressed the power button once and the box shut itself down, it should not take too long to recover. If the Raid is corupt it does take longer.

WD does have newer products like the DX 4200 for storage and they have a video port as well as a dedicated OS drive that would not have to rebuild to boot. The recovery partition is also on the OS drive so there is no download.

1 Like