Sentinel Dx4000

Currently I have a Sentinel Dx4000 with 2 drives in bay 1 & 2. I have just purchased 2 more identical drives, and put 1 in drive bay 3, expecting the syetm to go into a rebuild and add the drive, nothing happened. I rebooted and the light turned blue for a second as it booted but nothing else happened and the capacity never changed, still @ 2.91gb and only states 2 drives… What am i missing???

Thanks,

Bob

Are the drive listed as one from the drop down supported drive list in the monitor?  Model dash firmware?  Just same model will not work, firmware has to be the same also.

Is the system date correct on your box?  From the dashboard> server settings> General

1 Like

Gramps,

Thanks for the quick response. The drives are exactly the same as the 2 current drives in the system, even the firmware. I tried putting the one drive in slot 4 instead of slot 3 but no difference. They do flash blue when it boots and loads the OS, then the light is off. The system date and time are also correct.

Thanks,

Bob

Gramps,

Just a thought, is there a way to force a rebuild manually?

Bob

Hi bselff,

The drive should automatically start the build, there isn’t a option to have it start the build manually in the dashboard. Can you check the Dashboard and see if it detects the drives? Also, are these drives totally blank, no partitions or anything? If there is a partition on the drive the Sentinel may not use it so it doesn’t destroy any data. I would use DLG Diagnostics on the new drive and perform a write-zeros to make sure that it is clean. Then put it back in the Sentinel. I would also make sure that you have the latest firmware on the Sentinel. The latest firmware version is 1.7.3.13.

DLG Diagnotics for Windows

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=621&sid=3&lang=en

The drives are brand new from WD. I did notice the orig 2 drives also say RE4-GP and the new drives do not, even thou the model and firmware are the same. The dates are also different, new drives 07feb2013 orig. 14jan2014 P .

Bob

Sorry, been on the road, but looks like you are in good hands :)  No progress, but good hands.

I hope perhaps there may be a log file in the hidded c:\wd\logs folder Can you remote to the server desktop, show hidden files and take a look?  I dunno, sort by date and see if anything pops out at ya.

Again, just for me, dbl check the date is 12/8/2014 not 11/8 etc.  The date not the time.  Also when you load the dashboard>monitor tab, do you see info for the CPU/fans/etc everything?

And the disco does not show in disk’s?

Can you post what the full model of the drives is?

New Drives:

WD3009FYPX

WD T3

MDL:WD3009FYPX-09AAMB0

Date:11 FEB 2013

DCM: HANCHV2ABB

DCX:9A04A09M9

R/N:771716

WWN: 50014EE208077077

WD3009FYPX

WD T3

MDL: WD3009FYPX - 09AAMB0

DATE: 27 JAN 2013

DCM: HBRCNV2AAB

DCX: 5A03A06M3

R/N 771716

WWN: 50014EE25D4AE8EC

CURRENT & EXISTING DRIVES

WD3009FYPX

WD RE4-GP

MDL: WD3009FYPX - 09AAMB0

DATE: 07 JAN 2014 P

DCM: HANCHV2AA

DCX: 9A08A0RM7

R/N 771716

WWN: 50014EE20795F83E

WD3009FYPX

WD RE4-GP

MDL: WD3009FYPX -09AAMB0

DATE: 28 JAN 2014 P

DCM: HBRCHV2AA

DCX: 6A02A0BM7

R/N: 771716

WWN: 50014EE2B2AA3A9F

Thank You,

Bob

Gramps,

The date is correct 12/08/2014. When I load the dashboard and look at the monitor screen, everthing is healthy and it only shows 2 drives says the other 2 bays are not installed. I am just bring it up now, so I will also look for any log files.

Thank you,

Bob

Since the full model string on the drives match, it should work. Do you have the latest fimrware on the Sentinel? If so, it’s possbile that you may have a bad unit.

I would recommend that you backup all the data off the unit and update the firmware if it isn’t at the latest version. Otherwise I would try and recover the OS with all 4 drives inside of the unit. The other option would be to replace the unit if it is under warranty.

Sentinel Recovery ISO

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1601&sid=162&lang=en

LB_WD,

I am currently running 1.07.03.13 recovery iso on the unit. It tells me there is no update and the one I see 1.07.05.17 is only different with the apple support and MS updates. I can try and install the drives and redo the unit. I don’t think it is still under warranty.

Thank You,

Bob

Was this box purchased with two 3tb drives?  Like LB says, I would poke a drive in a usb dock or slave it somehow  in a pc and at least do diskpart and clean the disc.

He said start over with all 4 drives, but if you use one of the new 3tb you could backup your data to it and do the recovery with just 3 drives to start with.  If successful, copy your data back and add the 4th drive to the mix.

In any case backup/copy your data somewhere.  I think you will need to diskpart/clean the drives you are using before doing a recreate storage.  Look in the wd folder of the thumb drive after you do recreate and look at the end to see if it setup raid 5

Good Morning Gramps,

I don’t know if you remember, but I had this issue originally and had to send the box back in for repairs. I got it back with the 2 drives and it function correctly. I just tried to add the new drives and do a recovery with the the new drives installed in bay 3 and 4  and guess what, it stated bad drives after the recovery started.I am in the same boat as before. I will see if it is still under warrany, but I am thinking not.  What an ordeal, just to add more capacity.

Bob

I just created an Support ticket with WD. They had already replaced this unit once before and it shows it is in limited warrany. Case # [Deleted] let’s see what they can do.

Thank you and gramps for all your help,

Bob