SSD on Boot Drive - DS5100

I have the Sentinel DS5100 and would like to do the following-

Change the boot drive to an SSD without having to re-install the OS (though in theory I could restore it from backup).

Why do I want to do this?  Because the SSD is far more reliable than the laptop drive that comes with the system and its three to four times as fast.

There are a few issues here that I have questions about-

1. Drive Whilelist.  The drive I want to use is a 1TB Samsung SSD.  It’s not in the list of approved drives and I receive a message about this in the Windows health alerts (easily cleared).  However, it does appear in the choices in the raid setup (I’ve already installed it in the system and am currently using it to backup the OS).

2. Raid Setup.  Can I setup a Raid 1 with the current boot drive and then fail the current boot drive?

What other methods of getting the system to boot off of the SSD are available to me?  Has anyone done this?

Frankly it seems like an incredibly obvious thing to do.

PS.  I could care less about what WD has approved or not approved, I’m just looking for a functional solution.  I also don’t care about the warranty.

Well I put a black drive in the second slot and did the mirror.  It was not an AV drive so it was not on the list.  I was just piddling and took it back out.  Now my raid says broken.

I think I would do a restore and not have to live with a broken raid.

So you’re suggestion is to backup and restore the boot drive to an SSD drive?  I’m not entirely sure the system will boot under those conditions.

You’re raid is always going to say broken if it’s missing a drive, the question is, do you sitll have access to the data or not?

Sorry, I made a mistake.  That was not my Ds5100 I did that with.  Someone did a review of the 5100 and 6100 when they first came out though and he did say he put an ssd in.  I cant seem to find it as I type.

My vote is still to do a restore.  Worst case it does not worfk and you just put the WC drive back.