Purchasing WD Sentinel DX4000

Hi all,

i’m new to this board and have a question: i’ve recieved a e-mailing mailing about the DX4000 that it’s now on sale; but the prices that I see on the link WD-link don’t say if this is INCLUDING the discs to reach the capacity…

Do any of you know this?

And I was also looking at the QNAP NAS, is this in any way comparible with the DX4000?

I’m looking forward to your feedback (Y)

Thanks in advance!

All of the Sentinels have the same base chassis hardware, the different capacity options come with that amount pre-installed of WD Caviar RE disks.

The DX4000 runs Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials which is a full blown OS with the 2 drive model as a RAID mirror or the 3-4 drive model as a RAID 5. The QNAP have their own OS. 

It does include the disc’s.  What I find confusing is the 4tb model is a Raid1 which gives you 2 tb usable.  The 8gb model is Raid 5, just a bit less tha 6 tb usable.

No clue on QNAP, but as stated earlier, this is more than just a NAS box.

Gramps

Hi All,

Good Day!

What I want to do: 

I would like to purchase the smallest server in this line  - the 4TB version with two internal drives and four slots - and add two of my own hard drives to the extra bays to increase the capacity. 

I already have western digital 1 TB drives and 1.5 TB drives in the office - do not want to buy more drives - but  they are not the “RE” version drives mentioned in the product specs. RE stands for RAID Edition.

I want to just add my ‘typical’ standard drives and take advantage of the RAID 5 functionality.

I would also like to ask for the following information:

1. Is the capacity of the 4TB version expandable if I add my own hard drives (in addition to what they have in there already)

2. Is there problems with adding standard drives instead of the RE drives?

3. Is there problems with implementing the RAID 5?

4. Is there problems with drives of different size (first two bays will be 2 TB and two I want to add will be 1.5TB - some servers will not be able to handle this)

5. Is there problems with remote access - adding large amounts of data via remote user, apple users, other things? The remote access functions are key for us.

6. Is there any router incompatibility issues?

7. Is there any configuration issues with Comcast internet service?

8. Is the operating system included on these units the best for my purposes? The file sharing here in the office (three or four computers) and remote access by 3 or 4 users.

Thank you in advance!

Warm regards,

Grace

As far as the drives, if you research the posts here , you will find out that due to the complexity and setup of the server, you can not add drives that are not supported. Otherwise you will run into many difficult unresolvable issues.

GraceDS wrote:

Hi All,

Good Day!

What I want to do: 

I would like to purchase the smallest server in this line  - the 4TB version with two internal drives and four slots - and add two of my own hard drives to the extra bays to increase the capacity. 

I already have western digital 1 TB drives and 1.5 TB drives in the office - do not want to buy more drives - but  they are not the “RE” version drives mentioned in the product specs. RE stands for RAID Edition.

I want to just add my ‘typical’ standard drives and take advantage of the RAID 5 functionality.

I would also like to ask for the following information:

1. Is the capacity of the 4TB version expandable if I add my own hard drives (in addition to what they have in there already)
  1. Is there problems with adding standard drives instead of the RE drives?
  1. Is there problems with implementing the RAID 5?
  1. Is there problems with drives of different size (first two bays will be 2 TB and two I want to add will be 1.5TB - some servers will not be able to handle this)
  1. Is there problems with remote access - adding large amounts of data via remote user, apple users, other things? The remote access functions are key for us.
  1. Is there any router incompatibility issues?
  1. Is there any configuration issues with Comcast internet service?
  1. Is the operating system included on these units the best for my purposes? The file sharing here in the office (three or four computers) and remote access by 3 or 4 users.

Thank you in advance!

Warm regards,

Grace

1 no

2 yes

3 not with the proper WD Drive Kit Purchased from WD 

4 yes

5 yes

6 as a rule no

7 see #6

8 probably not.  If you want a NAS box, client Backup, and remote access to Supported Windows Desktops this would be a good choice