Problems recovering WD Sentinel DX4000

A week or so ago one of our Sentinels got power removed from it and when we tried starting it up again we received an error message (startup failed 0xd9). After receiving this message I downloaded the recovery package from WD and followed the steps for “Recreate My Storage” which completed ok. I then tried to “Perform a Recovery” but when it was ready for me access the server it stated that it could not located it. I have since done an IP scan on the subnet, but nothing is there. I have also performed an arp -a on my windows machine, which shows me that it has been given an ip address as I can see the correct mac address paired with it, but I cannot access the Sentinel on that ip address over any method that I can think of!

I found a post on this forum that stated that I should look at the ServerRecovery.log to find out information about why this has failed, but when I checked the file it was completely empty.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I am going to get this server working again?

Thanks in Advance

The first step as always is to check the md5 hash of the download.  Bad download is the most common error. 

Does the LCD say performing recovery or something similiar.   I forget now.

You should be able to look at your dhcp server to see if it got an ip.  And your pc needs to be on the same subnet

I’ve confirmed that the download of the file is good.

The LCD says Recovery Started, at which point I should click next in the Wizard and it should discover the device, but it doesn’t

I’ve also checked the DHCP on the router and it has been given an IP address, but I’m not able to ping the device or connect to it through RDP, HTTP or HTTPS and my computer is definitely in the same subnet

Martyn

Not sure if ping works or not.  The other 3 you listed will not.  Do you have a 3rd party firewall on your PC or perhaps even Aniti virus that may be blocking it?

I had the same problem (connecting via http:// ) until I inadvertently used IE instead of Chrome. It connected immediately through IE.

I had a Sentinel that I had trouble connecting too. I ended up connecting it directly to my computer via Ethernet and then the software was able to pick it up. Just make sure that your computer has a private IP that falls into the same range as the Sentinel.

I guess you can try this if you can’t get it to connect through the network.