No Bootable Device Available

I have 4 client (with XP OS) which automatically backup every day…

and i try to practicing full restore all of my client  into a new computer…

the full restore wizard was going smoothly…

but after the restore complete and computer restarting…

one of my computer show an error Message “No Bootable Device Available”…

it’s only happen in one of my client…

the other three is fine and can be restore completely without any error…

i try to switch new HDD but it’s still have the same issue…

can anyone help with this issue??

Is it a dell?  The boot.ini is probabbly off…

from somewhere on the web…(WHS and DX4000 same process)

Step 1: Boot the machine you want to restore with the WHS restore cd. Microsoft claims that in 90% of home networks it will get in touch with Home Server and prompt you to start restoring your PC. What Microsoft forgot to tell us, is the fact that if your machines do not use DHCP, but have fixed IPs instead you belong to the 10%, so you’re not able to communicate with the server. Just go over to the server box and change the IP setting to DHCP. Everything else on your network will lose the server, but the machine you want to restore will find it… I did not try it my self, but someone said that he just connected the two machines with an ethernet cable. Crazy? Yes! Worked? Yes!

Step 2: You will be presented with a list of backups and after you chose which one you want to restore, the procedure will start. In my case the machine had a single HDD with a single partition, so things were rather simple. If you have a different set-up, you might want to be careful what you restore where, since all data in the destination disk will be lost.

Step 3 : I wish you don’t have to read this step, because in theory, everything worked out as supposed and you only have to press “Finish” to reboot into your newly restored machine. Before you reboot, take some time to review boot.ini. There is a button there, that will open a notepad with your OLD boot.ini. Now it is a good time to stop for a while and start thinking about the past. No, don’t laugh, I am dead serious. Think what you are trying to restore. In my case, as I said, it was a Dell box. Dell boxes, usually mean that apart from windows partition there is another, smaller and hidden partition that you use to restore your PC to factory settings. Does that ring a bell? HP does that too, Fujitsu Siemens does that too. If you are trying to restore after an HDD crash, chances are that this little partition will not  exist in your new HDD take a look at the following boot.ini :

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition**(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition
(2)**\WINDOWS=”Window XP Professional” /noexecute=optout /fastdetect

Do you see the (2)’s? It means that your old windows installation was on partition number 2, which of course no longer exists, so you cannot boot. You have to change those (2)’s into (1)’s and you will be fine. Really, this is the only thing you have to do… This little thing that Microsoft could have told us about, but did not…

There are many ways to do that. If you are lucky enough and have a newer build of WHS, you can edit it in notepad (when you press Review/Check boot.ini at the end of the restore) and save it and be done with it. If not, when you try to save, you will be informed that boot.ini is a read only file and you will have to save your changes under a different file name. So, do exactly that. You can then use something to access your disk, delete the old boot.ini and rename the file you just saved into boot.ini. What you use depends on your personal taste and resources. I only had a windows XP cd, so I booted with that, pressed R to go into recovery console and worked from there. You can also use a Linux live cd, one of those special boot disks (like Hiren’s), anything that will offer you access to your HDD.

1 Like

it’s a HP…

and is really like u say…

there is a problem with boot.ini

it’s not like the code of boot.ini that have mistake…

but i cannot find my boot.ini in my HDD…

and not just boot.ini which missing from HDD…

i cannot find NTLDR and NTDETECT either…

thats the problem why i cannot boot my OS…

and i try to repair it manualy with copy that 3 file above.

and paste it in my HDD…

and that’s it…

my computer can boot again now…

but is there any other issue about this?

it’s seems weird because the other 3 computer just fine with ordinary daily backup…

but why only 1 of the computer cannot backup boot.ini , NTLDR and NTDETECT?

thx for your support and your solutions before…

Those are hidden files.  On a working box you would have to enable “show hidden files”.  Booting repair media,> repair>command prompt, they should show up

On working boxes load diskmgmt.msc and see if you see anything different.  Does the HP box have any extra partitions or anything that says “EFI”

Glad you figured it out though and for letting us know.

no it doesn’t have any partition says “EFI”…

the other partion that exist is “HP Recovery”

i try enable “show hidden files” in all of my client computer…

3 computer have boot.ini, NTLDR and NTDETECT…

but the other 1 doesnt have it.

i try to copy that 3 file from other computer and paste it in the computer which have not that file and then i create a manual backup from that computer…

after the manual backup complete, i try to restore a file or folder from that backup…

and i can find that 3 file on the backup file…

after that i try to full restore that client to an another computer…

after the full restore complete…

it’s still have the same issue…

“No Bootable Device Available”

can u help me about this issue…

i dont have any idea why this client cannot be restore so simply like the other.

Regards,

Vanz