Issues setting up remote access on DX4000

Trying to setup a new DX4000 for a client with remote access and the wizard is unable to modify the router.

It’s an AT&T Motorola NVG510 router.

I have opened up ports 443 & 987.

I’ve setup a *****.remotewebaccess.com domain.

I feel like the DX4000 is not configured with all settings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Router may say failed but does not really matter if you have at least 443.  From afar they will have to type the “s”

https://xxx.remotewebaccess.com

Open IE on the server and you should be able to type http://localhost and ignore the cert error to see the website work.  You will not be able to connect to any desktops

or you can add a host file on a box internally 192.168.1.(whatever the server IP is)     xxx.remeotewebaccess.com

from afar ping xxx.remotewebaccess.com and make sure it is going to the right place

Using the internal IP address, I was able to connect to the remote server (or at least get to the log in screen, after I logged in as a user, an error would be displayed)

You suggested opening IE on the server… How is that done?  I could not find it through the dash board connection.

I am unable to ping the server name from afar.

IE on the server:  On a pc start run MSTSC  Put servername or IP, username administrator, wahtever the password is

Ping xxx.remotewebaccess from afar.  It will not reply, just see if it gets the correct public ip

1)  I opene IE on the server and typed http://localhost.  It asked me for a user/pw and I was able to see the "Remote Web Access Home page.

1. (restating this answer) On local workstation, in IE, I typed the IP address of the NAS, I get certificate warning. Remote Web Access login page comes up.  I enter user/pw (same as #1), for a very brief second you see the “remote Web Access Home Page”, the  it displays SERVER ERROR - 404 - File or directory not found. The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

3)  From afar, I ping xxx.remotewebaccess.com and get the proper public IP.  (IP was verfied from local workstation when onsite).

4)  From afar, using IE, I typed https://xxx.remotewebaccess and after a couple minutes I get the error “This page can’t be displayed”

Download this tester and copy it to somewhere on the server.

RDP to the dekstop of the server.  Use file explorer to right click the file and unclik bloked from the internet if need be.

open an administrative powershell prompt

type or cut and paste Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned and press enter then y

then enter, .\EssentialsTester.ps1 at the prompt.

My guess is it is going to day something is broke.  You knew that eh?

As I said the wizard not being able to configure the router is not a show stopper and it sould like the router is correct, but it is not working internally anyway.  HAve you installed any other web server(s)/services?  Messed with IIS at all?

In the dashboard>server settings> remote access> I would try repair my router again and if no luck do the domain setup again

wait, you said it does work on the server, but not a workstation internally?  IF so just run the tester tool and see what it says

Would you please clarify / give more detailed directions for the RDP.  I have googled it, and not sure what I’m suppose to download.

Sorry, I forgot you had a question.  Also I apologize for not being more clear.

I just offer this link to show RDP is “aproved” by WD :)  You don’t need to download anything and you do not need to set a static ip.  Just click start>run>type mstsc and press enter

Servername User Administrator

The good news is if you are new to RDP, you more than likely have not installed anything on the server to break it LOL

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9395/~/how-to-set-a-static-ip-address-on-wd-sentinel-server-dx4000

ok, after a little bit of trying to figure it out, I ran all 4 test and the only errors that came up are what I’ve copied.  See the 1st line and the last line.  Other than that, all 4 test showed GREEN responses.

The only things I’ve done on the server, is with the dashboard.  Nothing else has been added.

WSS Initialization Service                    : Stopped Auto
WSS Media Streaming and HomeGroup Service     : Running Auto
WSS Networking Helper Service                 : Running Auto
WSS Notifications Provider Service            : Running Auto
WSS Remote Web Access Administration Provider : Running Auto
WSS Server Backup Service                     : Stopped Disabled

Using a workstation, I have now logged into the NAS using the dashboard.

Using the HOME tab, GETTING STARTED, I chose SETUP REMOTE WEB ACCESS … I tried REPAIR MY ROUTER and it comes back stating:

REMOTE WEB ACCESS TO YOUR SERVER IS BLOCKED

I then chose the domain name and released it.  I had to renew the name to the Windows Live account, and readded to the server.  Waited about 5 minutes and tried to access it remotely and got the error “This Page Can’t be displayed”… pinged the domain name and it did come back with the proper IP.

Have you forwarded ports 443 and 80 to the seerver in you router.

got to grc.com and do a shileds up from any pc on the network

do common ports

the essentials tester stuff you sent is perfect

You do not need to keep creating domains