Incorrect storage capacity reported on LCD and Dashboard

Two weeks ago, I purchased the DX4000 with 2 3TB hard drives.  Separately I purchased 2 3TB hard drives of the same model and added to the unit.  Upon initial setup, the unit did not automatically migrate to RAID-5 and it was stuck in RAID-1 and alerts were issued to indicate that new drives were added.  During the initial few days, the unit also suffered from unexpected shutdown and in one of the shutdowns, some registry entries were corrupted.  Because of this, I decided to reset my unit to factory default using the latest ISO image (1.3.10.13) downloaded from WDC support site.  I elected to delete all data and it took 4+ days to complete the reset. 

I repeated the initial setup process after the reset had completed and under disk management it reported one drive with capacity of 8383.38 GB, which indicated the size of a RAID-5 volume with 4 3TB drives.  However, the Dashboard reported the total capacity as 3.22 TB and available capacity as 3.09TB, Storage Type as RAID-5 and all 4 drive bays as normal.  The LCD confirmed the same 3.09TB available capacity with 4 disk drives.

With the exception of the incorrect storage capacity, the unit is functioning normally.  What do I need to do to reset the reported capacity in Dashboard and on the LCD?  I do not want to go through the factory reset again.

Patrick

Try to powercycle the unit

all the drives are showing good status in the front?

I powercycled the unit and saw no change in the display, nor through the dashboard.  Both are reflecting about 2.5 TB of remaining storage.  Total capacity on the dashboard is 3.22TB.  From Windows Explorer, the following space utilization is being reported:

C:  38 GB of 59.9GB Free

D: 2.55TB of 2.92 TB Free (Chkdsk reported 2673044MB available)

E: 4.65TB of 5.10 TB Free (Chkdsk reported 5085473 MB available)

S: 99.1GB of 99.9 GB Free

All disk lights are blue on the front.

Mystery Solved!

The WD monitor software will monitor only one storage partition and it defaults to be your D drive.  The setting is in the registry under this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Western Digital\Sentinel\StorageCapacityProvider

StorageDriveLetter REG_SZ  D:

When I changed that setting to E:, it provided the capacity and free space for my E drive at 5+ TB.  The LCD also reports the free space for the E: drive.

Therefore, as long as only one storage partition exists in the Sentinel, the LCD and the dashboard will accurately reflect the total capacity and the amount of free space.  Given WD is selling the Sentinel with huge capacity drives, restricting the capacity monitor to only one partition is limiting its usefulness.  With multiple partitions, we can have different allocation size, different shadow copy configuration, and different schedule for disk defragmentation for each partition.  I hope WD can find a way to fix this problem so that each storage partition can be monitored independently.

Patrick