I need help to hard reset my DX4000

I need specific instructions on how to reset my WD DX4000 using the reset button at the back. I need to restore it to default password, default host name and default dhcp IP but WITHOUT DATA LOSS.
I’ve read a lot of relevant posts here and elsewhere.
The problem is I can no longer connect using the Server Connector. No dashboard or launch pad can connect.
Also, need the default password for the admin account ( or is it administrator)
Thank you all in advance.

There is no way to do a reset as you describe. Closest to that is to restore from a backup at a date/time when you knew the password/it was working corectly.

Can you ping the DX?  Have you tried to remote to the desktop?  Start>run>MSTSC?

1 Like

How do I restore if I can’t access the Dashboard or Launchpad?
I just want to connect to it as it stands from a browser and download the Microsoft Connector but when I try from any laptop using the IP address or host name ( http:///connect ) it just loops then fails.
When I ping to the IP address, I get a reply from the IP address
When I ping to the host name I get a reply from a weird long string of characters (not a MAC address) like this:
reply from fe80::523:25a3:c6af:3ebf%11:
I can see the public shares but I can’t go in, wrong username or password.
I’ll try the MSTSC thingy and report back.
Thank you, Gramps.

Update: Remote Desktop replies (the connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login) so i know that account’s credentials should work, but when i use it to access the server from explorer it doesn’t.

What is the default password for the admin account cuz it keeps asking me for it in the MSTSC? I tried my new one as well as password, admin, root, 123. No success!

The LCD shows the hsost name i created, the amount of data left and the DHCP IP even after i tried the reset button on the back for 5 then for 10 seconds. So the data is safe but I can’t reach it.

HELP!!!

P.S. Does this ISO restore thing work for restoring the unit without DATA LOSS?
If so, which one should I download, the EMEA or the PANAM.?

When you do the MSTSC “thing” the user name is Administrator.  I do not know what adminsitrator name you gave it when you set it up.  There is no deefaultt usernname at thhus stage.

So it does sound like you do know a good username password because oof the error you got.

To restore the server from a backup if you have the 4tb/2tb useable version. you boot with the key you created with the large iso download. I use the panam download because I am in america.  I really have no clue what countriees use which download.  When you start thee recovery proces you have a choice to restore from backup or do a factory restore. If you have a backup you attach the usb drive with the backup, seelect from the calendar what date you want to restore from.

I have never actually done the factory restore with the keep data option.  It was a goal for the design team, but I really do not know if it works.

the funky numbers from ping is IPv6  do ping -4 servername and it will make sense

from a cmd prompt try

net use * \servername\videos  and see what happens

1 Like

Hello Gramps:

Sorry it took so long to update my post, I have not forgotten.

The reason is I took 4 days to try every possible combination until i finally was able to Remote Desktop to the DX 4000 using the Administrator account and the long forgotten but now saved password.

So here is the situation:

The C:\ drive is FULL. All 60GBs that the unit came pre-arranged with for the C:\ drive which houses the OS of course, is full. My guess is it’s due to multiple power failures we have been experiencing here in Egypt over the last 6 months, before I bought a dedicated UPS for my NAS units and PC.

The problem is even though i am logged on remotely using the administrator account, I cannot delete the Temp files in the Local Settings folder of my Administrator user because it says No Permission: Access Denied.

I tried to locate any trash or Found. files but only managed to retrieve 1.5MB.

I tried to install CCleaner while in Remote Desktop, a free app stored in my Public Shares folders.The reply is: Installer Integrity check failed and pointed me to this site:

http: // nsis.sf.net/NSIS_Error

Should I shrink the RAID-5 partition then extend the C$ onto it?
What should I do?
Help me Gramps, you’re my only hope!!!

Well yea, you got into it :slight_smile:

I think you are clicking on shortcut to and getting the access denied error

look at

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp

You have to enable show hidden files.  Mine does not have much in it though.  Shrinking the raid normally shrinks at the wrong end unless you have a 3rd party tool.

See if this will install to look for space hogs

https://windirstat.info/

1 Like

Thanks, Gramps:

Will get back to you as soon as I wake up. Dead tired and need to focus on this.

Hi, Gramps:
So the WinDirStat also gave a Corrupt File message. Personally I think it’s becuz the **bleep** C drive is full.

Also, the TEMP path you provided was not that full (only 5MB) like you said.

HOWEVER: upon doing some deeper digging I discovered that this little folder LocalMLS in this path:

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\Art Cache

Has over 500,000 files worth more than 35GB !!!
And all of them were thumbnail album art photos.

So i am deleting it, creating a new folder in its place, same properties. Also after some online searching, I disabled the unit’s Windws Media Player Network Sharing Service because it is the one that keeps piling up thumbnail images in said folder.

Will let you know the “slow” outcome :slight_smile:

Thoughts, Gramps?

Check this also. Server settings from the dashboard.  my art folder is empty

2 Likes

Thank you Gramps.

Will do :wink: