Error "Startup failed 0xD9" during reset

OK, this is my first contribution to WD Community and I hope it will benefit some of you.

I just got my dx4000 two weeks ago to be used for personal purposes. However, the unit became inaccessible through the network because I freaked out when I found an IP Address from China! is trying to hack into my SQL Server every second. I mistakenly disabled the network adapter in the server. Guess what? I was kicked out from the remote desktop session immediately and was not able to access the server anymore even with LAN cable hooked into the second port in the server.

I called WD support and they advised me to do a recovery and here where I got the same problem discussed in this topic. I kept getting “startup failed 0xD9”. After careful investigating, I found out that the ISO file that I used to create the bootable usb was not downloaded completely! According to WD, it is 6.22 GBs. However, I downloaded it twice at first with only two point something GBs and it was a successful download without errors reported to me?! Then, I downloaded the file a third time and it finally downloaded as 6.22GBs. Only then I was able to pass the error message in recovering my server using the new bootable usb that I created with the “6.22GB” ISO file. Please, pay attention to the warning given by WD before downloading the file. And here I quote it

Very Important: The ISO file is very large in size and it will requires at least 6.5 GB of space on the applicable Client PC. Due to the file size limitation on Internet Explorer, please use Firefox, Google Chrome, or Safari browser to download this file.

1 Like