DX4000 is Stuck at "Loading OS... Please Wait"

Last week I was receiving a Certificate error when I remot connected to the server. So like a true blonde I went into IIS Manager went to the Server Certificates and of course deleted 2 certificates. THE WRONG ONES. I have since been able to put them back. I have done the binding as well. But nothing seems to be working.  I think all I have managed to do is create a loop.

Now here’s what I do know:

1. I can not sign into Dashboard I receive a “Dashboard Error” message.

2. Although the server appears to be loading I can access it anyway.

I thought about doing a recovery but I am afraid of losing the programs installed on it.

Got any suggestions??

Just the LCD service and perhaps other WD things are broke.  You say you can still get files/rdp to the server?

I would run this tester to see what it says first, though it does not check WD stuff

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Windows-Server-Essentials-556159c3

Download this tester and copy it to somewhere on the server.

RDP to the dekstop of the server.  Use file explorer to right click the file and unclik bloked from the internet if need be.

open an administrative powershell prompt

type or cut and paste Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned and press enter then y

then enter, .\EssentialsTester.ps1 at the prompt.

Yes, if you do a recovery you start from scratch

2 Likes

I tried running the tester. Received an Error. This is what I got.

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Execution Policy Change
The execution policy helps protect you from scripts that you do not trust. Changing the execution policy might expose
you to the security risks described in the about_Execution_Policies help topic. Do you want to change the execution
policy?
[Y] Yes  [N] No  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is “Y”): Y
PS C:\Users\Administrator> .\EssentialsTester.ps1
The term ‘\EssentialsTester.ps1’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
 Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:22

• .\EssentialsTester.ps1 <<<<
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (.\EssentialsTester.ps1:String) , CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\Users\Administrator>

Change to the directory whereyou downloaded it or copy it to c:\users\administrator

1 Like

Powershell opened to this:   What’s next?? Do I enter the information now??

* Essentials Server 2012, Configuration Tester *

OS Detected: Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials

This tool will check your current Configuration against known Essentials 2012 Va
lues.
Written by Robert Pearman (TitleRequired.com)  February 2014

Version Info: Version: 1.7

1. Test IIS
  2. Test CA Infrastructure
  3. Test Services
  4. Test Service Ports
  5. Quit

Enter Task…

More better :slight_smile:

Now press 1 and enter

2 and enter

etc

Hey, FWIW I am headed out for 6 hours or so

I’ve run the test. Fixed some of the problems. But I still have errors and I am lost.

1st error: Checking Websites:

Site: Default Website

App Pool:  DefaultAppPool

State: Started

2nd error: Testing CA Name:

Certificate Authority Cert: Errors Detected - Local Machine Store

3rd error: Testing Dashboard Certificate

Dashboard Cert -  Error

A Bunch of the Services are stopped

And TCP:6602 has an status error too.

I have also noticed that the server date is wrong.  Have changed it serveral times to the correct date but after retarts it converts back to 9/9/2014 (which is when all the **bleep** happened)

HELP:confounded:

yes, the date is the problem.  A buddy of mine had this same issue for ever and then it went away somehow.

Have you applied all of the MS updates?

try setting the date then from and admin command prompt try iisreset

and run the tool again

Wrong, Not IIS, restart The Active Directory Cert service after you reset the date

Did the reset. No help.

Same error messages.

Just check updates. Nothing to install. Although there were a bunch of updates installed through 9/8 to 9/12. I’m not sure if the install date is correct. Could that effect server??  If they were installed on those dates and the server was screwed up could that cause the problem?

Oh Lord, I think I’m looking at a recovery install, Huh?

did you do the restart for ad cert service?

I am on the road for a few hours

Yes, I restarted the service.  I also shut the server off and next morning re-started it.  It booted up with 9/9/2014.  I believe I’m going to do the recovery.  I do appreicate your time and effort. 

well if you set the date and restart the ad cert service and things are still broke, you may need to do the recovery.  Perhaps messing with IIS when the date was off really toasted it.

Let us know how the date issue goes after the recovery also let us know if you have cpu temps in the monitor health tab please.

Oh, use something other than IE to download the ISO and be sure and check the hash of the download to make sure it is good

Will let you know how it goes.

I’m using Firefox to download.

But What do you mean (check the hash of the download).

On the page where you got the dowmload there should also be a small hash file.  compare it

https://www.google.com/search?q=md5+hash+checker&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&gws_rd=ssl

K. Got it.

I have download the Recovery file. Unlock the drives. But when I put the Flashdrive back in my computer nothing comes up on my screen.  I’m not sure how to get it to start.  (I hate computers: Grrrrrrrr)

Probabbly did not need to unlock the drives and I don’t think you need to do the middle step recreate my storage.

Now you go to the bottom, recover.

Just hit next, create a thumb drivwe takes a lil while, then you boot the DX while holding the button with that thumb drive in, after the lcd says recovery started (something like that) on your pc you hit next.  Your PC must stay on the 5 hours or so it takes

My problem is that screen with the 3 recovery options didn’t open. I don’t know which file to use to open that screen. 

You need to mount the iso as a disc.  In win 8 you just dbl click it, on win 7 I think you need http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38780

Then when it is mounted you just dbl click setup.exe