DX4000 Won't Boot with 3TB MyBook Attached

We have 3 DX4000s.

1 has a WD My Book 2 TB USB 3.0 attached.

2 have a WD My Book 3 TB USB 3.0 attached.

The 3 TB drives are brand new and function fine, but the Sentinels hang at “Loading OS” if you try to boot them with the drives attached.  Searching Google for “MyBook 3 TB boot” will show that this is a widespread problem.

Is there any remedy for this??

Did you read this one?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-Sentinel-Products/Remove-external-USB-drives-to-boot-Sentinel-DX4000/td-p/746390

It isn't marked as bootable / active:DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
  ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
  Volume 0 C NTFS Partition 60 GB Healthy Boot
  Volume 1 D NTFS Partition 1802 GB Healthy Pagefile
  Volume 2 FAT32 Partition 100 MB Healthy System
  Volume 3 A 3 TB WD NTFS Partition 2794 GB Healthy

DISKPART> select volume 3

Volume 3 is the selected volume.

DISKPART> inactive

The current partition is already marked inactive.

DISKPART> attributes

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601

VOLUME - Manipulate volume attributes.
DISK - Manipulate disk attributes.

DISKPART> attributes disk
Current Read-only State : No
Read-only : No
Boot Disk : No
Pagefile Disk : No
Hibernation File Disk : No
Crashdump Disk : No
Clustered Disk : No

DISKPART> attributes volume
Read-only : No
Hidden : No
No Default Drive Letter: No
Shadow Copy : No

DISKPART>

I ran into a similar issue, while the system appears to be frozen… after about 20 minutes, it would boot.

During that time, the external storage (USB, 4TB) would blink… for 20 minutes :smiley:

That’s not the case for us, unfortunately.

Both were in that state for over 13.5 hours before I disconnected the drives and power cycled them.

I’ve had a Support Case open for a few days about this. [Deleted]

I’ve received no reply.

I looked at the status this morning and it is set to “Closed”.

I got no response at all.

Amazing support.

I want to update to say that I did receive a reply via email (that was blocked at our border because of the use of the salesforce.com domain).  The problem is that there is no update posted to the ticket itself on the support portal, which is what I was monitoring.

Beyond that, the initial response was “the unit is not intended to boot up when there is any USB device attached to the USB ports”.  We’ve had 3 units work flawlessly with many different models of external drives over the years.  ONLY the 3 TB MyBook USB 3.0 drives cause this issue, and anyone Googling “MyBook 3 TB boot” will see it’s not an isolated incident nor is it restricted to the Sentinels.  Further, reviewing the firmware update release notes for this drive reveal that it has had (and continues to have) issues with power states.

Another rep from WD has reached out to me.  If I get any solution or workaround I’ll post it here.

Thanks for the update

Grey