DX4000 Computer Monitoring Error

We have 3 DX4000s running the latest software version (1.7.3.13).

Once of them fails to load the Fan, Power Supply, and Temperature data on the Monitor tab of the Dashboard, and a corresponding alert is logged in the health assessment.

I receive no other errors or useful information.

This is the only reference I could find, and it doesn’t help.  The system is fully up to date.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8620/~/error%3A-can-only-partially-assess-the-health-of-this-computer-occurs-on-the

Hi conker, I recommend you to contact tech support directly. 

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en

Thanks, I do have anopen ticket, but no reply so far.

I’ve had a Support Case open for a few days about this. [Deleted]

I’ve received no reply.

I looked at the status this morning and it is set to “Closed”.

I got no response at all.

Amazing support.

Hey, sorry so slow here.  I looked at this last week but have not had the time to properly reply.  I may not be much help, but we can try.

My box does the same thing, but I just did not care.  But since you have one that works, we might be able to compare and find something. I downloaded and reinstalled the latest firmware and that did not help.

What I would like for you to do on each machine (Do you know how to remote to the server desktop?) Is restart the WD Enclosure Provider Service.  Then look in the application event log.  On mine that fails I have an error ID 32003, Cannot retrieve profile for system “TO BE”

If you have this error on the box that works I am barking up the wrong tree :slight_smile:

I think that file must have a line that says “to be filled in by the OEM” and has a comma misplaced or something, but I cant find that file.  I thought it might be C:\WD\models.xml  (you wll have to enable show hidden folders probably), but I have changed “To BE” TO BB" and it is not reflected in the error logs.

If like I said you have the error I mentioned above on one and not the other, could you compare this file on both?

Thanks,

Grey

Yes, that service lists an error (with TO BE from the “TO BE FILLED BY OEM” string that’s listed in several places, such as the About tab on the Home tab in the Dashboard).

On the boxes that work, the logs say:

OnStart()
Service started successfully.
CreateNewAlertManager: Creating Alert Manager.
CreateNewAlertManager: Connecting Alert Manager.
Detected model number WDBLGT
AlertMgrConnectionOpened: Alert Manager is now connected.
ClearPowerAlerts: Clearing all existing Power alerts.

On the box that doesn’t work, the logs say:

OnStart()
Detected model number TO BE 
Unable to retrieve system profile for model TO BE

I guess I can hunt through the registry for “TO BE FILLED BY OEM” on one box and WDBLGT on the other and compare.  I’ve already tried running the WDEnclosureMapSetup and WDEnclosureSetup MSI files directly from the latest update as a repair and as a uninstall, reboot, reinstall.

I’ve found “To be filled by O.E.M.” all over the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS\

- BaseBoardVersion

- SystemFamily

- SystemManufacturer

- SystemProductName

- SystemSKU

- SystemVersion

SystemProductName on the working box has the actual model number, but otherwise both boxes are the same (“TO BE FILLED BY OEM”).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Western Digital\Sentinel\

- ModelNumber

- SerialNumber

The box that works lists an actual model number and serial number at those two keys.  The box that works has “DX4000” for Model, and all 0s for ModelId.  The broken box has DS6100 for Model and a UID for ModelId.  I don’t know why this box would be thinking it’s a DS6100 with no serial number.

TO BE FILLED BY OEM is also listed here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SystemInformation\

- SystemManufacturer

- SystemProductName

The box that works also has TO BE FILLED BY OEM for the SystemManufacturer, though it has the correct SystemProductName.  The same is true of CurrentControlSet, but not ControlSet002 (no SystemInformation key in ControlSet002).

WDBLGT (on the working box) is found in one additional place not listed above:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\CommonDatapoints\1012

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\CommonDatapoints\ is empty on the broken box, while the working box has a ton of keys.

Don’t blame me if we make it worse  LOL

It has to be one of the to “be” fields?

First maybe have you looked at the msi files in the wd folder on both to see if they have the same dates/versions

I am crippled here cause I do not have a working box to compare it to.  I put WDBLGT and DS4000 couple of places no good, but rebooting to see.

How many zeros in that field on the box that works

I changed all of those locations to match the working box, with a few exceptions.

I ignored HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\CommonDatapoints\ , and I used the serial number from the sticker on the broken box, and left the original MAC address in place.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Western Digital\Sentinel had a lot of other mismatched info that I copied over, such as HardwareId, DeviceType, Model, etc.

I then restarted the WD Enclosure Provider service and there was no error.

I opened the Dashboard and checked the About tab on the Home tab, and it listed the correct info.

I checked the Monitor tab and it is now pulling up the temp, fan, and PSU info.

I’m going to restart the box now.

Here’s what works for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Western Digital\Sentinel\ (make sure to read the NOTES):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Western Digital\Sentinel]
"SoftwareType"="sgsb"
"Version"="1.7.3.13"
"ProductDir"="C:\\WD"
"Name"="WD Sentinel"
"Model"="DX4000"
"Description"="Western Digital Small Office Storage Server"
"MacAddress"="USE THE MAC ADDRESS IT HAS ALREADY"
"SerialNumber"="USE THE SERIAL NUMBER FROM THE STICKER ON THE BOX"
"ModelNumber"="WDBLGT0040KBK-20"
"DriveBayCount"="4"
"RAIDLevel"="MINE WAS 5 EVEN THOUGH I ONLY HAVE 2 DRIVES - YOU PROBABLY DONT WANT TO CHANGE THIS"
"BootOrder"="CD,HD"
"ProductModelNumber"="SENTDX04"
"HardwareId"="urn:www-wdc-com:device:NetworkAttachedStorage:SENTDX04"
"DeviceType"="urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:WdNAS-SENTDX04:1"
"ModelURL"="http://products.wd.com/WDSentinel-DX4000"
"ModelId"="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
"Manufacturer"="Western Digital Corporation"
"ManufacturerURL"="http://www.wdc.com"
"ProductModelURL"="http://wdsentinel.com"

For  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS\ I changed SystemProductName:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS]
"BiosMajorRelease"=dword:00000004
"BiosMinorRelease"=dword:00000006
"ECFirmwareMajorRelease"=dword:000000ff
"ECFirmwareMinorRelease"=dword:000000ff
"BaseBoardManufacturer"="INTEL Corporation"
"BaseBoardProduct"="GA8-IBLV"
"BaseBoardVersion"="To be filled by O.E.M."
"BIOSReleaseDate"="10/18/2011"
"BIOSVendor"="American Megatrends Inc."
"BIOSVersion"="4.6.4"
"SystemFamily"="To be filled by O.E.M."
"SystemManufacturer"="To be filled by O.E.M."
"SystemProductName"="WDBLGT0040KBK-20"
"SystemSKU"="To be filled by O.E.M."
"SystemVersion"="To be filled by O.E.M."

For HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SystemInformation\ I set the SystemProductName:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SystemInformation]
"BIOSVersion"="4.6.4"
"InformationSource"=dword:00000001

For HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SystemInformation\ I set the SystemProductName:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SystemInformation]
"BIOSVersion"="4.6.4"
"InformationSource"=dword:00000001

looking at your logs, I wonder why the order of detected is different?

After rebooting, all the registry changes were reverted and the Monitor tab still exhibited the same error pulling up the fan, temperature, and PSU info.

I re-applied my changes to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Western Digital\Sentinel\ and restarted the service, and it’s working again.

Did you ever perform a restore on your Sentinel?  We performed a restore on one of our Sentinels, though I don’t remember which one.  We downloaded the files on June 6th 2013.  My guess at this point is that the restore procedure broke some BIOS settings causing the device to misidentify itself as a DS6100 and lose its serial number.

I’m going to restart once more and see what happens.  If it breaks again I’ll create a script that runs 1 minute after boot and re-applies the registry changes and then restarts the service.

I really wish WD would provide some actual support though, there’s no reason I should be spending my work day on this.

!!!  FOUND IT  !!!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Western Digital\Sentinel\ModelNumber

set to WDBLGT

restart the service, close and reopen the dashboard if it is open

I blacked out some numbers cause the mods here are real weird about that

I put the pic cause I may have changed something else while piddling

And thanks for your help.   Now mine works again :smileyvery-happy:

And does it work if you reboot?

You are correct it does not work after a reboot.  Yes i have restored it sevral times.  I dont really use mine, I just have it to break and fix it.

No clue if this has any bearing, but for a while a few of us had a problem where the date would go back 5 years or so on reboot and then connect failed because of certs.  But that problem has magicly gone away.

where did you find those log files you posted?  I have not run across them yet

Like you I have no clue why our files list a DS6100.  IS it also listed in that identityxml in the wd folder on your working box?

I will ping the few folks I know at WD and see if they have any insight

What log files are you talking about?  I only posted stuff from the event viewer and stuff I found and changed in the registry by comparing with a workign box.

No, identity.xml lists DX4000/RX4100.

Did you ever perform a restore on your Sentinel?

This looks like it is the only key that has to be changed

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Western Digital\Sentinel\ModelNumber

set to WDBLGT

What would a registry script be then for that.  Put it in startup and set enclouser to delayed start maybe?

Yes, I have done a WD System restore.  Thought I said that?  Now when and what version I could not swear to and I have also done some windows server backup restores.  I can’t type for beans

sorry forgot this, where is this

OnStart()
Detected model number WDBLGT

edit nevermind, you are just typing out event logs right?

Yes, that was just from the event logs.

For creating a scheduled task, you can make the change to your registry and then export that key (right click Sentinel on the left pane) to a .reg file.

Then you’d make a bat file that has:

net stop "WD Enclosure Provider Service"
regedit /S "C:\Full\Path\To\Exported\File.reg"
net start "WD Enclosure Provider Service"

Then you make a scheduled task in task scheduler that runs on startup and runs that bat file.  Note the task has to run as an administrator-level user.

You could try setting the WD Enclosure Provider Service to Manual startup and have your bat file simply have the second 2 lines.  I have the mine the way it is (and with 2 minute delay) in case there are any other dependencies.  Mine’s working fine as-is, so I doubt I’ll change anything.

That’s all at your own risk, of course, and you should make sure to disable the task and review the next time you update your Sentinel software.

Thanks, I may just put a shortcut named fixme.bat on my desktop instead of task scheduler.  Like I said it has been broke for a while but I never pondered on it

Again, thanks for all your time and effort.  Sorry the “official” support channel was weak.  I will be sure and let my contacts know this.