DS5100 boot failure - question

Hello, I had configured my DS5100 (8TB) in RAID5 about two months ago.

So far it was running fine, but today when I returned to my office, I found the server was frozen (no response from keyboard/mouse, no screen display shown, no network access available, nothing), so I had to hard reboot the server.

After doing so, I get the following symptoms during boot-up:

1. Hangs from from bios screen (American megatrend) for about 1 minute

2. “Startup failed 0xD9” message shows up from the front LED panel

3. The monitor shows “PXE-E99: Unexpected network error”

4. After a while, it moves to a shell prompt screen showing “Device mapping table / blk0: Removable BlockDevice - Alias (null)”.

I cannot run the windows recovery because it does not proceed any further from the bios mode and unfortunately I do not have the recovery USB stick. When checked from the bios menu, looks like none of the HDDs are recognized.

Does anyone have any ideas or clues? If so, I would very much appreciate your help on this. I tried my best to search the similar issues, but could not find anything (Except for the 0xD9 error in 2 – where you could turn off the safe boot mode – which did not help).

Thank you!

I don’t actually see any hard drives listed in bios anywhere on mine and it is working?

You do not have any usb drives plugged in do you?

Press F7 at boot, is Windows Boot Manager an option?

If not, sounds dead.  You might pull the power, reseat all the drives, and try the power in the other hole for kicks.

1 Like

Thanks for your input!

In fact it does not proceed from the bios (in other words, I cannot proceed to windows boot manager stage).

Just found that I see " EFI 03058003 Major / DXE BS driver unrecognized" message from the bios log. Smells bad…

I would really appreciate any of your (or others) input. Thanks!

* I did press the Kudos! :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for the Kudo, but you should wait until you are Happier LOL

I thought you got past bios if you saw PXE failed?

In any case I think it is broke and you need to call/contact WD.  In theory you should be able to get an empty replacement box and move your drives to it in the smae slots and be good to go.

You might leave it unplugged for a while just to see if something is hot and it will work cold but in any case, you need to get a replacement.

I cannot run the windows recovery because it does not proceed any further from the bios mode and unfortunately I do not have the recovery USB stick. When checked from the bios menu, looks like none of the HDDs are recognized.

I am aslo curious what usb recovery stick you are refering to?  I am not aware of any such aninal.

Hi,

maybe I was not clear enough, or I was wrong in describing the symptom.

I did get past got past bios screen (American Megatrends logo), but right after that, before entering the windows boot screen, I get the error messages mentioned above. 

I did contact WD so I will have to wait and see what their response would be. So far no response.

For the USB stick, I ment the emergency windows recovery (bootable USB). Sorry for the confusion!

Not that it is going to do any good, but when you see press for setup start pressing F7 repeatedly.  Curious to see if Windows Boot Manager is a listed option

Gramps wrote:

Not that it is going to do any good, but when you see press for setup start pressing F7 repeatedly.  Curious to see if Windows Boot Manager is a listed option

The default bios settings do not show .

The ds5100 does not come with the emergency usb stick, but I saw that in the review that talked about it also.

Sounds like you have a bad boot drive. But just in case you switched the bios boot order:

Steps to reset the ds5100/6100 to default boot:

1. Unplug both powersupplies for 60 seconds then plug back in.
  2. Press power button.
  3. Press repeatedly until you see blue menu. (this is where Gramps wanted you to look for “Windows Boot  Manager” menu option.)
  4. Use the arrow keys and go down to “Enter Setup” and hit enter.
  5. Press to load optimized bios settings, and hit enter.
  6. Press to save and exit, and hit enter.
  7. Your ds5100/6100 should quickly power cycle and restart.

That probably did not help you, so you need to create an emergency USB key.  

Steps to create and boot a USB key for diagnostics:

1. Download Windows 2012r2 Essentials ISO (or use your own 2012r2 VL ISO)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/evalcenter/dn205288.aspx
  2. Follow this guide except use the DV5.ISO you downloaded from microsoft.
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html
  3. Download the Sentinel software (sentinel_firmware_2_2_10_18.zip) so you can add the drivers
    http://download.wdc.com/nas/sentinel_firmware_2_2_10_18.zip?v=1873
  4. Extract the mvsdrv.cab from the sentinel_firmware_2_2_10_18.zip to the /support dir of the USB key
    expand mvsdrv.cab e:\support\ -F:*
  5. Now inject the drivers into the boot.wim
    a. mkdir c:\mount
    b.  dism /mount-wim /wimfile:e:\sources\boot.wim /index:2 /Mountdir:c:\mount
       (notice that image 2 is selected)
  6. c.  *dism /image:c:\mount /add-driver /driver:e:\support*
       (2 drivers should be injected)
    d.  dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\mount\ /commit
  7. Power on your ds5100
  8. Repeatedly press key until you get to boot menu
  9. Find the usb key entry that starts with UEFI: … (right above Enter Setup) down arrow to it and hit enter.
  10. Computer should now boot from usb

If you want to check on your drive status you can press <SHIFT+F10> and type “diskpart” then “list disk” to see what drives are working in windows.

http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/8/F/7/8F7024D2-AB2A-4BE2-8406-1E3AC49C5C1F/9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623_X64FRE_SERVER_SOLUTION_EN-US-IRM_SSSO_X64FRE_EN-US_DV5.ISO

1 Like

Hi isu-skyman,

Thank you so much for your posting!

I tried your suggestion and here is the update:

Step 1) resetting the bios: done, but this does not help

Step 2) creating the bootup USB and recover: after resetting the bios in step 1), the F7 key (nor Del, F5, F8, F2, nothing) works during bootup process. I cannot even call the bios setup menu. Hence I cannot follow the “Repeatedly press key until you get to boot menu” procedure.

Also update about the WD support case; more than 3 weeks has passed, but no one has contacted me about what to do. Very frustrating. :confounded: 

That said, I would appreciate it if you have any clues what I can do at this stage, other than waiting for the WD support which I don’ think will happen in the near future. :frowning:

Once again, thank you!

How are you resseting the bios?

Turn off quiet boot so you can see whats happening.

Can you change the boot order? Make sure your USB is set to boot first. CAM01403.png

Dear isu-skyman,

once again thank you very much for your help. The problem in my case was, I could not even enter that bios screen – the unit freezes even before I was able to pull the bios menu up. I tried to reset the bios as well as the unit itself (pressing recovery, etc), but nothing helped…

A good news. I thought I should post this for future users who face similar issues:

With the help of WD, I was able to recover the unit. Dx09 error, based on WD, is related to “communication” between OS drive and the data drive. That said, we tried the following combination:

Step 1 : A complete new empty DS5100 case + old OS drive + old data drives → failed, getting another error message. Dx05 upon booting, symptom is the same as before.

Step 2: New empty DS5100 case + new OS drive + old data drives → boot successful, had to do the fresh OS install but the data was intact!

When I say “new empty DS5100 case”, I mean the case only, without the OS drive. Since the unit was within warranty, we could try this…

It took me long days (5 months!!) to regulate this issue, but now I am happy that I did not lose any data. Will have to thank WD for their support!

Thanks for the update.

FWIW EVERYONE should do backups of the OS at least.  A cheap usb 500 gb drive is fine.  Windows Server Backup can be configured to back it up once, twice a day or even up to every 15 minutes.

Then if it dies you can get a 2.5 AV drive from anywhere and be back up.  Or if it is under Warranty of course get one direct.

Glad it is resolved.  Boo on the time frame