DS5100 System Fan stops reporting

Greetings,

We have had this issue on three of the Sentinel DS5100 NASes so far (out of the five that we have).  The system fan seems to stop reporting to the OS / WD Enclosure software and goes into an idle state where it is spinning at very low RPMs.  It does not show up in the 2k12 Dashboard and warnings are thrown in the Application Log RE: “Unable to get system fan speed” coming from the WDEnclosure.  This causes the CPUs to start to overheat (warnings in the event log) and, ultimately, causes the NAS to shut itself down.  A reboot of the NAS will restore the system fan reporting to a functioning state. 

Has anyone run into this issue before?  I have opened a support case, but have not heard from WD yet. 

Hello there and welcome to the WD  Community.

Do you have the latest updated on the unit also on the dashboard?  Always make sure youu have everything up to date on the unit and on the operating system.

Hope this helps you out.  

Yes, it is using the latest firmware.

We are experiencing a similar problem / error with the case fan also. We just installed it in August.

I opened a case with WD and they are having me send in one of the NASes so they can work on it in their lab and try to reproduce the problem.  Will keep this thread updated when they update me.  Our new NAS hasn’t arrived yet, though, so the old one hasn’t gotten to them yet.