Computer locks up when saving files to WD DX4000

Hi,

we are using the WD DX4000 in an AD environment. About 5 Windows 7 clients are accessing the server on the local net. Sometimes during file writes the clients lock up. You can’t save on the Network drive (shares are mapped as network drives) anymore, it does not respond and asks to re-login. During that time access from other machines work fine. pinging the machine works fine too.
 The explorer on those machines seem to completely lock up. I can’t kill the task. Even shutting down the computers do not work at all, I have to manually power off the computers completely. :frowning:

The WD DX4000 is using the latest firmware 01.07.03.13. All the clients have the most latest Windows updates.

I have tried to disable SMB2 but this did not fix the issue either.

Anyone got any idea why this is happening and/or knows how to fix it?

Cheers

niko

I have had this kind of issue before with some of our other boxes. Do the client machines have static ip’s? try doing ipconfig /renew - that seems to do the trick with our old 2008r2 server that is on the fritz that the rx4100 is supposed to replace T_______________T

I dunno, if the other PC’s can still work fine while one is hung, I am not sure it is the server.  I would perhaps look at your switch possibly.  You could also disable your A/V for a bit.

The clients have dynamic IP addresses. I will try the workaround. Do you have any background information why this works around the issue?

Gramps wrote:

I dunno, if the other PC’s can still work fine while one is hung, I am not sure it is the server.  I would perhaps look at your switch possibly.  You could also disable your A/V for a bit.

Why do you think the switch is an issue? Pinging etc. works totally fine so network connectivity per se is not an issue.

This issue has been happening since we switched to this NAS, we never had any issues with the old NAS. And since all clients are affected I doubt that it is only a client issue.

Why do you think the switch is an issue? Pinging etc. works totally fine so network connectivity per se is not an issue.

I will apply the same reasoning you are   Why do you think it is the Server if it replies to pings?

All I am saying is this is not a lil NAS box running Linux.  It is a Server runing Microsoft Server 2008 R2.  This operating system is installed in Millions of sites.  Of course this does not mean it is not a server issue, but there is a lot to explore.  It is much cheaper to swap out a switch than a serveer.

What did you use before this that worked?  Has any software been installed on the clients since it worked?  Using any A/V and firewall other than Microsoft?

Do you still have issues if you boot in safe mode with networking?  Does it happen with Word and Excel files, or is it just Word?  Does anything show in the event logs of the desktop when it hangs?

FWIW, I don’t think static IP’s would be required.  Again there are a zillion desktops out there with dynamic :slight_smile:

Gramps wrote:> I will apply the same reasoning you are   Why do you think it is the Server if it replies to pings?

That’s a poor answer :wink:

1. Network connectivity does not get lost. Matter of fact, if you shortly disconnect n/w connectivity this issue should never appear, and I can confirm it does not appear if I disconnect the switch for a short time. So I assume, the switch is not the cause.

2. Also we have a regular Server 2008 R2. All file access works fine with that server. No lock ups.

3. All clients are affected.

4. The Linux NAS worked fine before, so it’s unlikely that the switch is the culprit.

In a nutshell: The only thing changed was the WD NAS.

Gramps wrote:

All I am saying is this is not a lil NAS box running Linux.  It is a Server runing Microsoft Server 2008 R2.  This operating system is installed in Millions of sites.  Of course this does not mean it is not a server issue, but there is a lot to explore.

You are aware that Linux has a bigger share than Windows Servers :wink: However, I agree that it is weird to see this behaviour on a Windows Server, because one of the main reasons to use a native Windows NAS was that I expect less isues in a homogenous environment.

Gramps wrote:

What did you use before this that worked?  Has any software been installed on the clients since it worked?  Using any A/V and firewall other than Microsoft?

Linux NAS. No additional software has been installed. A/V is what I am trying to outrule right now.

Gramps wrote:

Do you still have issues if you boot in safe mode with networking?  Does it happen with Word and Excel files, or is it just Word?  Does anything show in the event logs of the desktop when it hangs?

FWIW, I don’t think static IP’s would be required.  Again there are a zillion desktops out there with dynamic :slight_smile:

• Boot safe - will try it out.

• All different types of files are affected.

• No signs in the event viewer. Neither on the server, nor on the clients :frowning:

So the culprit was indeed the AV solution. Disabling the AV did not help, we had to remove it completely.

The issue is more or less what the poster describes here:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/errors-saving-excel-files-network-location

We are using version 11.0.6005.562, unfortunately we don’t have a support contract to upgrade right now

Gramps, thank you for your help! :).

Glad you figured it out and let us know.  Makes it kinda harder to figure out if you actually have to uninstal it.

What are we going to do?  All AV stinks and we can’t seem to get users to quit clicking stuff.

The best offense is a good defense.  Use these boxes to backup the desktops LOL