Occasional Contributor
Jacob_Demant

Adding more drives

Hi,

I've bought the DX4000 4TB version, what will happen if I add more drives? Will it be able to use the capacity? Can I create a raid 5 instead of raid 1?

Jacob...

Frequent Advisor
diehard

Re: Adding more drives

If you add a drive, the WD software has some fancy code that make it a RAID 5. Just pop the drive in and follow the instructions on the LCD.

This is what I read, I will be testing it later this week.

Also, this will only work with the SAME Enterprise drives. 2TB or 3TB drives. Only 3 models exist. Check the WD Dashboard for specifics.

If you put any other drive in the server, you will get a message on the LCD.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3537-dx-4000-supported-drives/page__p__35864__hl__...

Honored Contributor
Vadir

This is correct, the Sentinel will automatically switch to RAID 5 when more than 2 drives are installed.  AFAIK support to 3 TB drives will be added with a firmware update. 

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and be sure to come back and click 'Accept as Solution' under options, for the post that solved your issue.
Staff
Timothy_G

Too add to information regarding the expansion of the Sentinel, if you put two additional drives in at the same time. The Sentinel will build to RAID 5 on the third drive, then add the fourth into the RAID and build again, the whole process will take around 48 hours.

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
Advisor
Nickster

Also, once you expand the array, you can't go back. Just something to consider.

I looked into the RAID software of the sentinel- it uses Intel RST of course. Has anyone tried tweaking the RST software to gain control over the type of RAID array utilized?

Honored Contributor
Gramps

I have not seen convert from raid 1 to raid 5 in RST?  I think WD is working in front of this and there would be no tweaks.   But I have the Intel control panel software herre somewhere.  May look at it.

What's the worst that can happen?  (anyone say brick?)

Gramps

I hate to ask, but if you feel inclined to click the star for a kudo please do. For every 10, I get a keychain from WD :smileyhappy:
Frequent Advisor
diehard

I was giving this some thought, but could not find a download for control panel. Do you have a link ?
Honored Contributor
Gramps

I think this is it.  Google Intel Raid Drivers

<Raid Drivers  >  Link is too the left.  Silly blue background :smileymad:

Gramps

I hate to ask, but if you feel inclined to click the star for a kudo please do. For every 10, I get a keychain from WD :smileyhappy:
Frequent Advisor
diehard

I got it installed, did a reboot. They only thing that happens is a windows opens with some details of the OS. Clicking on a blue tab on the right does nothing. I don't get the usual windows with a few icon on the top. Bummer. Stumped.

Honored Contributor
Gramps

[ Edited ]

Did it extract to iata_cd.exe?  You should end up with this app.   Granted this is on one of my boxes, but the WD box should do the same

CC.PNG

Gramps

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD