wd2500l032-001 installation?

hi, i bought a WD external hard drive (model # wd2500l032-001) several years ago, but now have a new laptop & can’t get it to recognize the WD hard drive… i’ve lost the installation software & can’t seem to find it anywhere on this site. maybe its too old? can someone please help me get my new laptop to recognize it? im using windows 8 by the way.

Hi, the model number you posted doesn’t seem to be valid. You can find all of the available downloads for your hard drive from the download section. Click on the link below. 

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

i got the model # straight off the back of the external hard drive. its either wd2500l032 or wd2500i032. its a ‘my book’ 

hellllooooo? anybody out there? do i need to take a pic of the serial #?? i got lotsa important info on this thing that i cant access

Hi, sorry for the delay. If possible try using another USB cable. You can also open the disk management window to see if the My Book is recognized there. If the My Book is not recognized, try connecting it to the old windows version PC where it was previously recognized to verify any incompatibility problems. Check the link below for more information. 

How to access Disk Management in Windows 7, Vista, XP or 2000 to manage your hard drives