Wd passport elements not detected by my computer

Hi,

I have a wd passport elements 1TB drive that i had not use for a few months, when i try to connect to my PC, it refuse to be detected.

Here is the syndrome:

• not detected upon plug in

• not show in “safely remove hardware and eject media”

• try running disk management but the drive is not shown also

• on the HDD, the led is light up, and i can feel the HDD spinning

Here is the method i try to resolve, but still unable to get it working

• change a cable

• plug in different USB port to try

• plug in to different computer (mac and window) to try

• run Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows - can’t detect the drive

Is there any suggestion on what other option i can try to get the drive working?

Thanks

chup

Hi chup6, it seems that the Passport is faulty and needs to be replaced.

How to get an RMA, (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty

1 Like

Hello. Try uninstalling the device and rebooting. Remove the  cable for the device while your computer is shutting down and plug it back into a main USB port as the computer is rebooting. When the computer gets fully running it should recognize the “new” hardware and install it for you. This happened to me and this is what I did. It is simple, easy and quick. I spent a week and many hours trying every trick in the book and my Passport was still disabled. Would not even show up in “My Computer.” Give this a try. I hope it works for  you. If it does, let me know

To be a little clearer, make sure Windows Un-installs the divice first so that when you remove its connection from your computer, there will be no traces of the firmware of a previous installation left on your internal hard drive.

And welcome to the community. I am new myself.