Unallocated space on disk and bad sectors

I’m having issue with     WDBAAC5000ACH-EESN, in disk management it shows up as “unallocated” space, and on any try to do something with this I receive message that because of I/O drive error, the system couldn’t perform operation. I’ve tried few repartitioning (including partition recovery) applications and all of them fail to do anything.
I don’t care about data on disk - they were just backups which currently I don’t really need… I just want to make it work again.
Before this happened disk started to work kinda slowly - it copied data with 400kB/s max and more often it was something around 20-40 kB/s… After seeing this I tried to format it with WDSmartWare, which started smooth, but at the end it showed that format was failed and disk suddenly disappear from my PC view and only way to see it is really here was by disk management on which it says that space is unallocated.
Also disk management shows correctly size of unallocated space on disk (~500GB).

All the time virtual cd from disk with smartware stuff is normally accessible.
I even was able to successfully update firmware to newest one… but still with no results.

I try to perform LifeGuard Diagnostic and they see my drive but finish every time with results:
In main window smart status says “FAIL”

while browsing info about that “fail” only failing entry is:
Re-allocated Sector Count
ID = 5
Value = 130
Threshold = 140
Worst = 130
Warrant = 1

Test Results:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WD My Passport 070B
Unit Serial Number: –
Firmware Number: 2018
Capacity: 499.40 GB
SMART Status: FAIL
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 02 (Interrupted by hard or soft reset), Failure Checkpoint = 106 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!
Test Time: 14:52:31, November 15, 2011

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected.
Test Time: 14:57:18, November 15, 2011

Test Option: WRITE ZEROS
Test Error Code: 09-Sector #26112-26368::Write Zeros error!
Test Time: 14:58:56, November 15, 2011

After these I started to wonder how disk could get so many bad sectors? It didn’t get any physical damage, it was just stored on shelf next to PC and disconnected only safely or when PC was shut down. And what is more weird is that I could normally copied stuff and even was able to delete from that disk before format…

The drive is probably bad call customer service.

Joe

you might want to try another cable.  an io error can be a bad cable as well.  otherwise, joe is correct the drive is most likely bad.

Well… it is not a cable fault - the same happens with different wires also…

But on bright side I discovered that under Windows XP i can allocate disk and make partitions… however there is still error during format process :frowning:

Well you can try formatting the drive and writing zeroes to it then run DLG and see if the errors are still there. If so get rid if the drive. If it’s under warranty call WD about  RMA repalacement. I wouldn’t trust a drive with bad sectors for anything important.

Joe

Well the best results I got using HDD Regenerator - some bad sectors were regenerated… but still disc coudn’t be formated - so well I give it for replacement…

Anyway - thanks for help :stuck_out_tongue: