Occasional Visitor
Erunner

unable to get OS to recognize passport

I have two Passports and I cannot get one PC to recognize it, my primary PC.  My vista based portable is not the problem.
Originally the primary PC recognized the Passport.  Later when I tried to hook it up, I got a screen that asked if I wanted to install software:  didn't think I needed to so I said no and also checked the block that said do not show me this screen again(a mistake apparently).
Now when I try to hook it up, I just get clicking sounds from the drive(both do the same thing),
How can I get the OS to recognize the Passport?

Occasional Visitor
Nippy

Re: unable to get OS to recognize passport

I have had two passport portables for nearly two years and all of a sudden my OS would not recognize them. both of them so WTF happened? I read every forum I could find but no real answer and thousands of folks with the  same problem. Then today I read where one guy said you had to bend the cable. OK, I'm no PC percolater but I knew bending the cable was a freak solution. But then I thought; bending the cable makes it shorter.

Wait for it ............................

I took my 6 foot cable off and re-connected the original one footer and jumping-ge-ho-so-fat ............. it worked instantly. WD ought to be smacked around for not telling us that the passport is sensitive to cable voltage drop. Anyway, hope this helps. Later

Community Manager
Bill_S

Re: unable to get OS to recognize passport

Erunner wrote:

I have two Passports and I cannot get one PC to recognize it, my primary PC.  My vista based portable is not the problem.
Originally the primary PC recognized the Passport.  Later when I tried to hook it up, I got a screen that asked if I wanted to install software:  didn't think I needed to so I said no and also checked the block that said do not show me this screen again(a mistake apparently).
Now when I try to hook it up, I just get clicking sounds from the drive(both do the same thing),
How can I get the OS to recognize the Passport?

If the drive is working on one computer and not on another, and you are NOT using a cable longer than 18", and you are not using a USB hub, then you are not getting enough power through the USB port on the one PC to spin the drive up.  You will need to purchase a power booster cable that plugs into two USB ports at the same time.   To get a power booster cable, you will need to contact tech support.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD