System won't recognize my my passport drive

Hi:

First post here.

I recently purchased a WD My Passport 2tb portable drive.

I am having trouble getting my system to recognize the drive.  I have already run a backup so it worked in the past.

However, no matter what i do, I can’t get the system to recognize the drive.

Any ideas?

1 Like

I am also having this problem. I bought a used 1TB My Passport that connects via UBS cord. I connected it to my system, and it says it’s successfully installed, and that the device is properly working…

but I can’t find it anywhere on my computer!

This is maddening, and I confess I am not a techie. I’m a mere mortal who would like to back up some files.

If anyone can explain to me how to get this running I will sing your praises!

I innocently purchased this thinking it would be easy to use. I see that I’ve stepped into a brand new nightmare…

Best,

Frank

Does the drive show in Disk Management and does it have a letter assigned? Make sure you aren’t using a cable longer that the original and don’t connect with a hub. On a desktop try a port on the back.

Joe

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your reply, first of all.

The drive shows in Disk Management, but it doesn’t have a letter assigned to it. My computer says the Passport is in fine working order, all ready to go…

I just can’t find a way to access it. See below for a couple of screen shots… maybe this information will help.

WDMP1.png

WDMP2.png

We’ll have to wait until the pics are released. Does it say anything else in Disk Management like Raw or Unallocated? Did you try giving it a drive letter and make sure it’s Online?

Joe

It won’t let me assign a drive letter. That’s the maddening part…

Sorry it takes so long for you to see the pictures. I didn’t realize that would be the case.

Well, I’ll check back in the morning…

Thanks!

Well, my pics were deleted–that’s helpful!

I think the issue is that I need to reformat the Passport. I don’t know how to do this, so I’ll have to search around here and be ready to lose many, many brain cells as I try to comprehend this stuff…