Software or hardware

I just bought something called “My Passport”

It’s full of incomprehensible software

I thought I was buying some HARDWARE

All I want is an external drive onto which I can copy SOME folders and files from my old PC laptop and then onto my new MacBook Air

Having done that, I would use it t back up the folders and files and a few other things of my own choosing in case something awful happens to the new one

Why do I need all this software?

I don’t know what’s happening

I have struggled with it all night

I might as well just use a memory stick but I wanted more capacity.

Please help quickly!

You _ can _ just copy files to it.  You don’t _ have _ to install the Smartware software.

1 Like

You don’t need any of the software unless you want to use a password. You’ll also want to disable the virtual CD if it’s popping up

Thank you Joe, very reassuring.

I don’t know how to remove this stuff.

I have already put some files on it, and they are there, but my Macbook cannot “see” the gadget - although it screams when I disconnect it without ejecting. How can I ask to eject when there’s no icon? 

If you are using on Mac and PC both you will need to format FAT32 but then the max file size allowed will be 4 gig. I don’t know about Macs but I saw this posted maybe it will help http://community.wdc.com/t5/External-Drives-for-Mac/WD-drive-as-a-back-up-for-Windows-7-and-MAC-OS-locked-files/m-p/84753#M1830