Software issues

Okay, I dont know where else to turn. I got a wd my passport 1tb hard drive. I plugged it in and put all my files on it. Now, wether the drive is plugged in or not, wd drive prosesses are running in the task manager. Making my computer us 90% of its ram when before it sat at about 30%. Whats the deal? How do i get rid of this **bleep** and just make the drive function as a flash drive? I have read a few things about the vcd, but I’m not sure if thats what I’m dealing with here.

bonvo,

If you update WD SmartWare to the latest 2.x release you should not have this issue. However (And if needed), as most standard applications WD SmartWare can be safely uninstalled from your control panel under Programs and Features.

Question regarding how to un-install SmartWare

Can you please confirm/clarify the correct un-installation procedure for SmartWare. 

I’m a new owner & user of a My Passport Ultra 1TB that I’m using with a Lenovo Thinkpad, Win7 64-bit version. I installed the WD apps (Security, Utility, SmartWare) from the setup file that came with the WD drive/device. After performing initial set up and my first large file backup, I then let the software update to its 2.2.1 version  through the interface.

One minor thing I noticed after the SmartWare update is that the program icon on the desktop disappeared. Beyond that, I want to be sure that the software update was done correctly. Even though the software seems to be working without problems for now, I still suspect that something went wrong during the update process, so would like to install my original version in the drive.

The instructions in the SmartWare Help menu suggest the following: 

" If you installed the WD SmartWare software using a setup file that was on the device or the setup CD, disregard this procedure and follow the software uninstallation procedure in the device user manual". 

:: Okay, I installed SmartWare from the setup file that came with the WD drive/device and then the software updated itself through the interface. Which one counts here in terms of uninstallation?! 

:: Let’s consider that I installed it from the set up file on the device and disregard the procedure (below). Accordingly, I look in the manual but it’s the same solution; I don’t see the difference in terms of uninstallation between installing from this source or another.   

:: now the procedure

The abovementioned procedure being " Use your operating system’s Add or Remove Programs function to uninstall the WD SmartWare software. Click WD SmartWare Installer and DO NOT select WD SmartWAre on the same window." (I get that). You must use the WD SmartWare installer/setup wizard to uninstall the software if you used to install the software". (The last sentence is confusing!)

So, when in Add or Remove Programs, do you use the WD SmartWare Installericon or WD SmartWare? 

Speaking of uninstallation, what about running the set up file that came with the device again (which is the previous version), and installing over the existing/newer SmartWare version, can I do that? Is that feasible? Or is it a big no-no? 

ANOTHER QUESTION, is it possible to just copy files into the WD drive in the traditional way (e.g. drag and drop) without using but without deleting SmartWare either?

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

ultrabytes,

Either procedure is correct, however, Add or Remove Programs (XP)/Programs and Features (WV, W7, W8) should be used first for a clean removal. The WD SmartWare uninstaller is a secondary method in case the application can not be normally removed by standard means.

However, I will report your findings with the User Manual for clarification purposes.

Thank you.

JStaff: I appreciate your quick reply.

Just to check my understanding here: so are you suggesting I should select WD SmartWare to uninstall as opposed to WD SmartWare Installer? Both options are placed one after another in Programs and Features, right? It’s just that the uninstallation instructions (manual, software) state the opposite of this though. I wish I could attach an image here to illustrate my point.

One more question regarding file synchronization under the following scenario: I prefer to back up my files through the “file” option because I want to maintain the folder/file structure. Let’s assume I have a directory (designated folder) containing 10 items (folders and subfolders) in the the source drive (computer) and I back that up into the target drive (WD). Some times later, that file structure in the source drive has changed completely and I now have just one new folder and not ten, the others I have deleted because I already copied them onto the WD drive.

Now, I want to add (back up) that new folder to the target (WD) drive. If I connect my WD drive and choose a continuous back up plan, [how] will the target drive recognize such a change in the designated folder (source) above? Will it add it as new material to the existing folder structure from the previous backup or will it simply mirror the contents of the designated folder in the source which has changed, meaning deleting whatever materials previously copied to the target drive to match it with the source. I hope that was clear.

Thanks again.