My passport won't respond and the light just flickers

I have a 500 GB WD passport and when i plug it in the light stays on for about 3 seconds and then it starts to flicker. What can i do to fix this?!

I wish I had the answer too.  My Passport is doing the same thing…why I got on here.  Anyone please help…

If it’s a powered unit try turning the plug 180  deg. There have been some reports of this causing a problem. I know it sounds dumb http://community.wdc.com/t5/Other-Externals/WD-Elements-Not-Being-Recognized-READ-HERE/m-p/89439#M1294

I just ran into this problem tonight, and at the worst possible time…  Is there anyway to extract the files from the harddrive (I’m using the 500G Passport)? I have no idea what the blue lights are for, but only one stays constantly lit, and the other is dim. When I use the USB the computer reads that a wdc device is connected, however no icon for the passport pops up. The Firewire is exactly the same. I’ve got a bunch of advertisements on there, and I can’t afford to have them go down the drain, especially because I have to get them out tomorrow afternoon.

If anyone could give their two cents, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Evan

Did you try different USB ports?

WD MY PASSPORT ESSETIAL SE 1 TB …Soy de Chih,Mexico viaje a Estados Unidos y lo acabo de comprar y NO FUNCIONA CORRECTAMENTE,mi Pc no lo reconoce lo tengo que conectar y reconectar varias veces hasta que lo reconoce,y ya despues trabaja unos minutos y despues deja de responder,ya lo probe en otras PC y en una Laptop y no funciona correctamente,lo tengo que desconectar varias veces hasta que es reconocido,ya le hice la particion y el reformateo y no funciona…pesima calidad…probablemente en hecho en China…no es posible que tu informacion tenga tanto riesgo de perderse…

Yeah I tried different usb ports, and I tired both Firewire connections…

Tomorrow I’ll have acess to a Mac, so maybe that might make a slight difference? I usually use it off of PC’s.