How can I reformat a WD portable usb drive (model: Scorpio) that wont initialise?

I have an older WD usb drive (model WD600U017-001) that was probably corrupted on a PC with Win XP where it is now no longer recognised or accessible.  I plugged it into another PC with Win 8.1 and it showed up in disk management as working but uninitialised. 

I used the application Recuva to try and recover my data, but no luck, so I am now just trying to reformat the drive.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to initialise this drive from disk management on either XP or 8.1 operating systems.  When I tried to initialise the drive on Win 8.1, it just gave a “recycling” error message.  

I want to reformat this drive and start again, but I dont think I can if it cant be initialised first?

I tried to check the health of  this portable drive with a trial version of HD Tune premium, but this application just crashes a second or two after this drive is selected. At least it stays open long enough to see the model name, Scorpio.  

Does anyone know how I might be able to get this drive working again?

You must likely have a bad drive and no way to keep using it. If you need the data best option would be to send it in to a data recovery lab if not just replace it with a new one.

Hello there,

What happens when you try to right click on the disk and verify if the drive is online? Also try to write zeroes to the unit using DLG since you are trying to initialize the drive.

Here is a link to download the DLG software:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=201&sid=3&lang=en

Although if you wish to do data recovery on the unit, you can try checking this section, some of this companies have free diagnosis of your unit:

http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?wdc_lang=en 

1 Like

It might still be a bad drive, but I did manage to get it working again by accident.  

When ever I tried to to initialise this drive in disk manager on a Win 8.1 PC, it gave the error message:

“data error (cyclic redundancy check)”.

So I simply uninstalled it in disk manager on the Win 8.1 PC, then plugged it back in a Win XP PC, where it showed up as normal again with all files intact.  Might be a lucky fix or like you said, just a bad disk!

I cant recommend HD Tune pro version 5.50, because it just crashed everytime I tried to select the problem drive. For a couple of seconds it would recognise the model as Scorpio, then crash. Their support was also fairly unhelpful.

Thanks for those useful links.  I did try to right click online in disk management, but cant remember the outcome. It was not helpful anyway.

The good news is that I did manage to get the drive working again by accident.  

When ever I tried to to initialise this drive in disk manager on a Win 8.1 PC, it gave the error message:

“data error (cyclic redundancy check)”.  So I simply uninstalled it, then plugged it back in a Win XP PC, where it showed up as normal again with all files intact.  Might be a lucky fix or a disk on its last legs!

I tried HD Tune pro version 5.50, but it just crashed everytime I tried to select this drive. For a couple of seconds it would recognise the model as Scorpio, then crash. Their support was also fairly unhelpful.