External hard drive not working

My external hard drive doesn’t show up on my list of drives and the power appears to be off.  If I disconnect the power cord and plug it back in the lights come on and I can hear some noise, but then within a few seconds the lights go off again.  Any suggestions?

try connecting to a different outlet

try a different usb cable 

check if the drive appears on disk management

I have a 1TB hard drive that has just started doing the same. It was a gift from my mum just under a year ago… but how we will prove the purchase I don’t know - I doubt she has a reciept or remembers even the rougt date! Am gutted all my new baby photo’s are on there and we hadn’t got round to backing them up yet! I just can’t believe it! Fingers crossed data recovery does the trick! Don’t care what it costs… it’s too precious to lose… one of those for everything else there’s mastercard moments!

if your drive makes slight clicking sounds and than spins down - heads are busted, and need to be changed up.

I have a similar problem. My WD external drive is spinning and has the light on when I connect to my desk top computer, but I cannot open the drive to view my files. In device manager the USB mass storage device is indicated and shown as working properly, but it is not. I have a lap top that does open the files so all is not lost. It is just irritating that I cannot open the external drive on my desk top. I also have a Seagate external drive and the same symptoms present when I try to use that. The Seagate is not found on my laptop though. What can I do. I can see that many people have problems with this.

My External Hard Drive has encountered a peculiar problem. I can see that my computer is identifying the HDD and it is coming up on the drive list on “My Computer”

But when I open the HDD and try to create a ‘new folder’, the Hard Drive hangs (Not Responding) and I need to forcibly unplug it from my computer because I cannot shut it down even with “End Process” on the Task Manager.

This is a 1TB WD hard Disk I got almost a year ago. But I am encountering this problem since a fortnight.

Part Number: 4064-705084-005

Lot Number: JEMSHE364102CR

Please help in the earliest.

I have a My Passport  P/N WDBACY5000ABK - S/N: [Deleted].  My wife was using it last night.  After she unplugged it, I attempted to open it to manipulate some files.  When I did, I received a message that I needed to format the disk before I could use it.  I did not format it.  I attempted to open it on 3 different laptops.  On each laptop I received the same message.  On my desk top, the unit does not appear.  Any help is appreciated.

I have been using WD Live Media Hubs for 4 months and for whatever reason, it no longer is recognizing my portable hard drives I attached to them. I have 2 WD Media Hubs and NEITHER of them are seeing my extenal Hard drives. WHY?

Also, I  used to be able to view movies on my Laptop through the WD Media Hub and NOw it is saying, “username or password si incorrect”…I never changed anything, so why THIS issue? About ready to throw them both out a window!