Corrupt data & error during paging operation

Hi, many times when i transfer data from my pc’s HDD to my “My Passport Essentials SE 1GB” I get corrupt data. My computer setup is as follows:

Power supply: Corsair HX 620W

Other: NF7-S mobo with 2 GHz Athon CPU

The USB device is connected directly to the back of the computer via the default cable which comes with the usb drive.

In short this is what’s going on:

1. I transfer data to the usb device

2. I take a checksum of the transferred data and it does not match

3. I transfer the data again

4. The checksum is usually correct once I do an additional transfer

5. During the above, an error is generated in event viewer:

Event Type:    Warning
Event Source:    Disk
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    51
Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk4\D during a paging operation.

1. I run CHKDSK /R /F on the usb device, but find nothing unusual.

2. I also run a checksum on ALL my data on the usb device and it all checks fine. [I now maintain a hash log of all files I have transferred].

So I am lost. I have a 640W power supply and the usb device is connected directly to the PC, so it should be getting sufficient power. Once I have verified that the data has transferred correctly, future checks i.e. via chkdsk/checksum do not show existing data to turn corrupt. So the usb drive by iself appears ok. Obviously something must be going wrong in the transfer process.

Any help most appreciated.

Cheers,

Voirin

Try another cable, or make sure that the cable is not longer than 18 inches.  Also, make sure that you safely remove the drive first when you disconnect it.  And you can try another USB port.  If it continues, try another pc and see if you get the same errors.