Autorun problems

lately few problems occur while i was working with my WD passport.

1. the aoturun is not wirking in any computer that i tried

2. the computer recognize the drive, for example as drive G, but he recognize all the folder as part of drive E, so i cant open them

please help me- i cant solve this 

I believe a recent MS disabled autorun as a security feature. you may need to reenable it.

Joe

1 Like

I just tried Win7 x86 SP1 and it has autorun enabled by default. I just disabled it and as I never use autorun. Latest version of Avira AV has autorun disabled by default.

1 Like

I am interested in this topic because I am trying to find out if I should install Vista update KB971029  which says:

This update disables AutoRun entries in AutoPlay, and displays only entries that are populated from CD and DVD drives. Effectively, this prevents AutoPlay from working with USB media.

I bought My Passport and  installed smartware and I am wondering if it will still work if I install the Vista update.

Ohadshi says he is having problems : can you check if you installed this Vista update?

Mabkay replies to this :

I just tried Win7 x86 SP1 and it has autorun enabled by default. I just disabled it and as I never use autorun. Latest version of Avira AV has autorun disabled by default.

So what should this be telling us? Is WD passport still working   - are you using smartware??

1 Like

The term “Smartware” is used in universal for WD preparatory Backup software, Drive lock/Unlock utilities + VCD and for drive management utilities (health etc.).

Yes I do have My Passport Essentials SE 1TB drive but I use none of above mentioned software bits and pieces.  And I did manage to get rid of VCD partition as well. Don’t ask me how. It just got disappeared when I deleted the existing partition(s) and created a new under Windows 7. (Now I have 999GB-NTFS and it serves me as a simple drag and drop drive) Please note that I did the repartitioning after the firmware upgrade.

Mabkay : that is what I thought - you are just using the drive as a drag and drop drive.

So do I with my previous WD.

However now with the new drive I would like to use the Smartware and password protection.

So I would like to know if Ohadshi installed the Vista update I mentioned.

hey

i did not install the vista update.

the problem is in the window xp i got, i am trying to figure it out with the “kapresky” cleaning progrem.

Usually when the program smartware is installed on the computer the the auto run feature pops up have you tried installing smartware?