Windows 7 unable to access my WD Passport External Harddisk 1TB

Hi guys,

So I’ve been using WD 1TB Passport for about 6 months now, and have quite important documents and photos stored on it. However, it has suddenly ceased to work, and my computer is now completely unable to function with it.

For a list of symptoms:

1. Once plugged into the computer, most programs will stop functioning properly, and I will not be able to boot any new programs. When I unplug it, Windows will function properly again.

2. Disk Management hangs when I try to launch it with it plugged in.

3. It detects sometimes as Passport 0730 (D:), but I will not be able to access the drive. Double clicking will result in Windows Explorer hanging.

4. Chkdsk does not detect it, and will not process until I unplug it.

5. There is a persistent “Solve a problem with WD SES Device” message under the Windows 7 messages.

6. The harddisk doesn’t work with other computers as well.

7. The harddisk does spin up when plugged in, so no worries about power issues.

I don’t really need the Harddisk to be functional again, I would just like to be able to extract the data from inside it.

Any help would be appreciated! 

Thanks guys.

Tim

Small update:

It is visible under Device Manager and Devices and Printers

So I’ve tried to run HD Tune or some other programs to try and understand whats wrong with it, but when I plug it in most of these programs proceed to crash.

Any advice guys?

Tim

Hi Anticro, sorry to hear you can’t access your files. Have you tried using another USB cable? 

Yup, I’ve tried 3 different cables. All produce the same result.

Hi again, if the problem continues even with different cables the Passport would appear faulty. Check the link below for the steps to replace it. 

How to get an RMA, (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty