What device do I have

G’day,

I purchased a small external hard drive.  I have not got the box or receipt.  The dive shows up with my Windows 10 Computer but not my Windows 7.  I think I need to update the drivers.  I do not know the size or type of E H D I have.  This is the numbers writing on the device. P/N WDBPCK0010BBK-01.  Please could somebody tell me what I have purchased.

Maybe also tell me what I need to do to get Window & to recognize the drive.

Cheers Perry

It’s a 1TB WD Elements SE … i own 3 of these myself, all work fine with Windows 7 no special drivers, just plug’n’play

but if you’re having troubles … maybe try installing the SES Driver ?  http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Portable-External-Drive-WDBPCK0010BBK-NESN/dp/B0052L77SA

You must have bought an overseas model … i bought all 3 at Officeworks (Underwood,Qld)

Model: WDBABV0010BBK-00

G’day Joey,

Thank you for your reply. I  down loaded the SES Drivers. When I try to open the device I receive a Pop Up saying Device cannot be opened due to a Q/I error.

Please can you tell me what I have to do.

Cheers Perry

i’ve never heard of a “Q/I Error”   :neutral_face:    … i have heard of an “I/O Error”

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unexpected-io-error-0xc00000e9/ff4a7cb7-8ea4-4b64-909a-8e2a99d67b80?auth=1

sounds like a PC problem … since it works on your Win10 PC,  but not your Win7 PC

G’day Joey,

This is the message. I am 74 years old and often get things wrong. Please could you help me solve this problem.  At lease when I open Computer I can see Drive G but not before I down loaded SES.

Cheers Perry

Capture.PNG

try a different USB port on your Win7 PC …  or try a different USB cable on the WD 1TB

p.s. I/O   is short for   Input / Output

G’day Joey,

I tried a different port, three in fact but it was the same.  I do not have another lead that I could try.  I was reading what other people tried on the website you suggested.  It was suggested the I do a Restore.  I did that and now the device is not showing up at all on my computer.  Please tell me what to do now please.

Cheers Perry

G’day,

I know what device I have now, it is a W D 1 tb Elements S E Portable. The device works with my Windows 10 Computer but my Windows 7 Computer does not recognize it even though the light comes on and I can hear it moving.

I would appreciate any help please.

Cheers Perry

G’day All,

My problem has been solved.  When I was using the computer with Windows 10 I conected the device to the computers USB Port ar rge front of the tower.  When I was conecting the device to my Windows & Computer I was conecting it to a powered USB Hub.  When I conected it to the Lap Top I was using an USB 3 port exstention with a printer and mouse also inserted. I discovered that the Powered USB Hub was faulty.  Qhen I conected the external Hard Wear Device directly into the Windows 7 tower and directly into the USB on the Lap top the device is working perfectly.

Thank you for all your help.

At lease I might be ablail to help somebody who has a sinular problem.

Cheers Perry from Sunny Queensland

so you did’nt give us all the information then ?  nowhere did you say anything about a USB Hub until now

all the advice i gave you … i assumed you were plugging it directly into your PC

i’m glad you got it working :smiley:  but next time, give us all the info

Greetings from Brisbane,QLD … 32°C