WD smartware thinks my password is wrong..!

i recently bought the WD passport ( 320gb) and i ahd saved some important data on ot… so i decided to use the password protection… i kept my passowrd and then took it to my freinds plce later cause i needed to ake some stuff.

I type in the password but it says invalid password… and i just can’t get it to work… not even on my pc… Just incase i don’t forget my pass i have savend it in a txt file tht i encrypted using winrar. i checked that and typed my password in but it still does not accept it…

Please Give me a solition !

If it doesn’t accept the password there is no work around.

Joe

you mean it is broken ? 

you could check to see if there is a firmware update for the drive.  that might restore the funcionality, but if it doesn’t then what Joe_S says is the case.

i cant do any firmware update without the “password” can i ? ( i already try it and i couldnt)

unfortunately, you are stuck with just reformatting the drive.   you won’t be able to retrieve your data, even through data recovery. 

this was something I had to learn the hard way, myself.  and it’s why I keep all my data on multiple drives.  as a matter of fact, every chance I get to buy a drive for cheap I grab one, this way I can just throw data on it.  I’ve never lost anything since.

I have a “Western Digital My Passport SE” whose data are password protected.

I signed. The unit is accidentally unplugged, so when it is reconnected, I was prompted for a password. I entered, but all I get is the window that says “the password is incorrect”… I entered the correct password (I’m sure, for several reasons (use the same, before detaching it worked…))

Now I no longer have access to data … Is there a solution to access data without losing them?

I used a Mac OS 10.6.8

Thank you, Fabio

they can not give any solution for this problem. I am just following the answers about this “bug” in the forum, always it same,

"With a situation like this you will need to contact WD Tech Support directly.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en"

and we are contacting technical support and they giveing this answer to us;

"Dear Mr. XESA,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is xxxx .

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems using the Smartware’s password protect feature.

First please make sure that you have the latest version of the Smartware installed which you can find here:

http://download.wdc.com/smartware/WDSmartWare_Software_Upgrader_for_Windows_1.5.0.18.zip (we are doing this but it isnt working)

If the problem persists we think that you might have set a different password by accident (Am i crazy?) or the password has become corrupted (absolutely!!! it is a BUG !!! ). Unfortunately it’s not possible to remove or change the password if you can’t unlock the drive. We recommend you try some different passwords but if that doesn’t work you must format the drive to get it working again… "