WD passport with enough free space doesn't allows me to transfer file

Hello all.
I have 43GB free space available on my drive…nevetheless, it is not allowing me to save a file which is only 19GB (less than the available free space)…i already emptied the recycle bing, but is still not allowing me to save the file…thanks in advance for your comments,

Hello,

What error do you get when you try to copy the file to the drive? Do you have the drive formatted as NTFS, HFS or FAT32?

1 Like

Hello.

Thank you for your answer.

The message is the following:

<<<Error copying file or folder: Can not copy [file name]. There is not enough free disk space. Delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try again.<<<

Nevertheless, I have 47.5 GB free space available and I am only trying to copy a file that is 19.0 GB, so shouldn’t be a problem.

My WD passport is formatted as FAT32.

Thank you.

If your drive is formatted FAT32 the largest file it will accept is 4 gig.

Joe

Saw this post while I was starting to research a solution to my own problem which matches yours.  So, just as an FYI to you as something I learned today when I was looking at My Passport to see if I had enough space for a project…

I found out that My Passport is formatted using FAT32 which will not allow a single file of over 4 GB to be copied to it.  That’s probably what you’re running into.  I will continue my investigation in these forums to find out if there are any issues or suggestions in reformatting the drive as NTFS, hoping that will allow me to copy single files that are over 4 GB in size.

Not sure what you’re copying but if you have any files over 4 GB, you can work around it by not copying the files greater than 4 GB, and if possible, make the big files smaller or split them up, etc.  Unfortunately, I can’t do that for my project, so I’m looking to reformat the drive to NTFS to see if that will help.

The only reasons to reformat to FAT 32 would be to share the drive between Mac and Windows or for use on some video device. Otherwise reformat it back to NTFS for Windows. There is software to use a drive on Mac and Windows that uses the native format of one of the OSs.

Joe