WD Software ties up hard drive

I connected a My Passport external hard drive and installed the software a few months ago and it seems to back up OK - until I updated the software!  This crashed the computer badly with the hard drive just running flat-out constantly, even with the external drive removed.  Nothing would function and the only way to fix the problem was to reformat and reload everything from scratch - which was very time-consuming.   I was fortunately able to reload the software supplied with the My Passport (making sure I did not use the update) and was able to use the backup I had made initially which saved the loss af most of my valued files.  The computer worked fine after this.

I have not used the external hard drive or the software since.  A few days ago the computer, within a few minutes of loading up, would start running the hard drive flat-out again and all attempts to solve the problem proved futile, involving running up-to-date anti-virus programs and downloading (at my cost) and running a couple of programs that were supposed to fix this sort of problem - all to no avail.  I had to do most of this in “safe mode” or within the first few minutes of Windows loading up as once the hard drive went crazy I could do little with the computer (a high specification Toshiba laptop running Windows 7).  I decided to uninstall the WD program and presto everything is back to normal!!   

I now have a rather expensive paperweight as I definitely cannot risk reloading the software again and write this as a warning to others.

Although provided with the device, the software  is by no means required for utilizing the drive, nor is its use mandatory for backups, as the drive can also be used for storing backups with a 3rd party backup software.

If you want to verify why the software is not working with your setup, we recommend to contact our support department.

To Contact WD for Technical Support:
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en