Occasional Visitor
Pambe

WD Smartware

When I first installed WD smartware it worked properly and I took a backup of my hard. but now whenever I turn on my pc, I keep recieveing "WD smartware has stopped working, windows is serching for a solution to the problem"!!! (windows vista). what shall I do?! I want to take back up of my internal hard every week!!!

Please somebody help!!!

I do see the WD smartware drive in my computer, but when i click on it, I recieve:"the application has recieved an unexpected error and is now exiting"!!!

what could that mean?!

Community Manager
Bill_S

Re: WD Smartware

Try downloading the newest version of SmartWare.  It should have fixed a few things.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Advisor
jyeagley3

Well, you say to download it but your link doesn't lead to it. Why has WD made the Smartware so difficult if not impossible to find? I have an email support request in now for directions to find it and install it. Mine is just plain gone. The drive has 930gb capacity and 930gb free and there is no smartware anywhere in my computer or anywhere else. Can you PLEASE help mee find it so I can get going again?

Thanks

Jerry

Bill_S wrote:

Try downloading the newest version of SmartWare.  It should have fixed a few things.

Occasional Visitor
Badaboom

It took me a week to get rid of all the problems I was having with my external drive.  The basic problem was Smartware.  At least after removing the program I don't have problems anymore.  Smartware (I'm told by support) is freeware that is bundled with WD external drives.  The WD drives work with many other SW BU packages.  I'm now using Sync Toy - a MS power toy.  It's free and works very well.  You will not be able to access your current BU with Sync Toy.  Matter of fact you should probably delete your current BU before you remove Smartware.  Then do a BU with Sync Toy.  BTW Sync Toy BU much more quickly than Smartware and allows you to BU images.  So you can make an image of your HD (system and data) and if you lose your HD you can recreate it without having to reinstall all the SW (if you have the SW).  I know this is frustrating but there's lots of frustration owning and maintaining a PC.  Good luck!

Community Manager
Bill_S

jyeagley3 wrote:

Well, you say to download it but your link doesn't lead to it. Why has WD made the Smartware so difficult if not impossible to find? I have an email support request in now for directions to find it and install it. Mine is just plain gone. The drive has 930gb capacity and 930gb free and there is no smartware anywhere in my computer or anywhere else. Can you PLEASE help mee find it so I can get going again?

Thanks

Jerry

Bill_S wrote:

I'm sorry.  I didn't give you a link because it's particular to your drive.  However, the downloads we have are only updates to your original SmartWare install.  You will have to go to the VCD and reinstall SmartWare from there, first.  Then you can update the software from within SmartWare if you are connected to the internet.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Visitor
Herbaceous

I'm getting the same problem. Windows Vista 64 Premium occasionally (at least once a day) pops up a message telling me that SW SmartWare has stopped working and will be closed. Then, when I try to exit the start-bar tray icon, it does nothing and continues to allow me to open SmartWare, even though the actual information it shows it all greyed out and inaccessible. The only solution for me, is to completely reboot my PC, which is very inconvenient.

The drive is working fine after the software fails, and I am still able to continue copying files manually over to the drive without any problems. It's just the SmartWare that's bugging out. I hope WD fix this soon, because it's making me nervous about all the files I have backed up using the software being corrupted.

Occasional Visitor
anbeju

hola compre un disco My passport de 1tb cundo instalo el aplicativo de mi disco  externo  no he podido instararlo me marca error tengo windous  vista

Community Manager
Bill_S

Herbaceous wrote:

I'm getting the same problem. Windows Vista 64 Premium occasionally (at least once a day) pops up a message telling me that SW SmartWare has stopped working and will be closed. Then, when I try to exit the start-bar tray icon, it does nothing and continues to allow me to open SmartWare, even though the actual information it shows it all greyed out and inaccessible. The only solution for me, is to completely reboot my PC, which is very inconvenient.

The drive is working fine after the software fails, and I am still able to continue copying files manually over to the drive without any problems. It's just the SmartWare that's bugging out. I hope WD fix this soon, because it's making me nervous about all the files I have backed up using the software being corrupted.

You don't actually have to have SmartWare to use the drive.  If you prefer, you can uninstall SmartWare and use the drive like any other external drive.

Visitor
Herbaceous

bill_s wrote:
 You don't actually have to have SmartWare to use the drive.  If you prefer, you can uninstall SmartWare and use the drive like any other external drive.

Hi Biil,

I am aware that I can use the drive as a normal drive, as I mentioned in my original post:

Herbaceous wrote:

...The drive is working fine after the software fails, and I am still able to continue copying files manually over to the drive without any problems. It's just the SmartWare that's bugging out...

I am genuinely appreciative that you, as a WD spokesman, have responded to this dilemma. But I am also a little disappointed at the content. If the only solution from WD for the problem is to not use the software, then that's unacceptable. At the point of purchase I made my decision based on the spec's that the MyBook listed, including the ability to use the supplied software.

I sincerely hope that the dev's at WD take this problem seriously, as I am not the only one suffering from it.

On a side note (and as a potential bug report, should you wish to notify the programmers) I have noticed the same software failure when I am updating other system drivers. Notably; my nvidia display drivers. About half way through installation the WD software pops up the aforementioned error. I reproduced the problem a total of 4 times, with exactly the same result each time. I hope this helps...

Community Manager
Bill_S

We are working on the install issues with the WD SmartWare, and will have an updated version ready for release, soon.  My only point in responding was to let you know that you don't have to have the software to use the drive - in the meantime.  I totally agree with your reasoning for buying the drive.  Moreover, WD is commited to continually improving SmartWare's functionality.  So, it's just a matter of time. 

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD