WD Password 1TB constant format request

Hi,

I recently had a problem where my passport wasn’t allowing me access to one folder and when i tried to open it, it would request formatting. I cleared out all my other data and recovered some of the items of the corrupted folder using the recuva programme (as suggested by a user on this forum). 

I then formatted the drive in NTFS… have no idea what that means but it was the default. great.

Started reloading my files: at this point everything was normal: being detected as My Passport etc… after 8gigs of data was put on i could not open a single file and it requested to format AGAIN!! So i clicked format and now its not doing anything but spinning for hours… oh and now it beeps once or twice after i connect it to the laptop (varies). the WD software detects it but says 0KB free and 0% used. and it also appears in my computer as a local disk.

never dropped the drive, the computer froze once while using it and that was when i started having problems. It is not even 2 years old, it cost me a lot of money as i am not from the US. 

Can anyone offer suggestions to help? please and thank you. 

Correction: its appearing as a hard disk as opposed to removable storage.