WD Passport Ultra - Some corruption & very SLOW

Recently as I accessed a file on my WD Passport Ultra the device became so slow that I thought it had died.  I’m not sure, but it may have over heated as I had the drive on my lap and the laptop on top of that!  (not smart).

The drive continued to spin and the white light flashes.

Now, when I plug it in to any PC with any cable the drive shows up as “local drive” and can not be accessed.

Unless, I first run a program called EASEUS Data Recovery.  Once the EASEUS scan process completes the drive is once again visible with the name given in the past.

I can then “see” all of my folders and files, but when I try to access the data or copy anything to another drive it takes forever.  A file that would have taken a few minutes to move in the past just completed after 4 days!!

So, I am sort of stuck.  I have found a way to access and copy my data, but I don’t have a couple of years to dedicate to the process.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the WD community.

I have not tried this software, lets see if another use has some tips and suggestions on this matter.

I’m not sure that the “software” is the issue.

The data is on the drive and its “safe”.  The “software” gets the drive recognized by the computer which is great.

The transfer rate is the issue.

Do you have any ideas regarding what would slow the drive’s ability to open/copy files.  If so, do you have any suggestions regarding the best way to get the data onto a new drive??

thanks,