WD Passport SmartWare Slows Computer to a Crawl

Thanks to all who have commented on this topic.

Me too just got a new 1TB WD Passport. Haven’t used it, or installed it yet.

Part of the reason I haven’t used it yet, was that I was wondering about this SmartWare.

It seemed like a great way to backup your files, and keep your backups up-to-date.

But why would they give you the option to use it “without”  Smartware?

I bought the Passport to use primarly as an additional external hard-drive, since I am running out of space on my internal hard-drive. And also to backup files from a 2nd computer. I was about to install SmartWare and use it to backup files, and keep the backups up-to-date. On one other post I also noticed, someone installed SmatWare, and then later uninstalled back again. It wasn’t very clear why he uninstalled it. He did mentioned it was a “resource hog” but wasn’t very specifi about it. I was wondering why. Reading this thread, I think I understand now.

And I had just decided too install SmartWare anyway, … but decided to check out the forum a bit further, … and stumbled upon this thread. Now, … I’m not so sure anymore. One part I still want to install it and see how it works for me,… on the other hand, based on the reactions here,… I better not. Especially since ocassionaly my laptop will already use a lot of CPU, and get slow, … altough just for a gew seconds, and then it will continue to work normal again. Chances are, based on what I’ve learned heres, is that if I install Smartware, it will get much worse. Hmmm,… I think I’m going to pass on Smartware, at least for now. And just use my WD Passport as an andditional extra hard-drive as I originally intended, and look for another way to backup my files. Possibly an online backup service or other brand external hard-drive.

I’m still battling it out in my mind though, whether to install or not,… I’m thinking ‘not’, but would appreciate if anyone would like to further advice.

Anyway, thanks again to all who contributed to this thread, … atleast I’m awarre of this issue now.