WD Passport My Ultra 2.5 in 1 TB external drive does not work with centos (and slow with winxp)

I have a lenovo Edge E 431 centos6.1 machine that I plugged the passport into. It recognized the drive. It also shows that data written to the drive is successful but I don’t see the data when I plug the drive into a windows 7 machine.

I then put a windows xp virtual machine on the lenovo centos and connected to it. The data transfer rates are very less (of the order of 16 bytes / second). What can I do to troubleshoot. 

I know that my passport is not supported out of the box with linux / centos versions but centos is compatible with all windows drives (my earlier drives work well). I am not sure what is wrong with this and how to troubleshoot,.

The drive works fine with windows 7 machine

Thanks for any inputs

barra_dog,

Unfortunately, this may relate to device optimizations designed for Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac OS, an associated USB 3.0 drivers. If the disk drive operates as intended within a Microsoft Windows 7 environment then you may need to confirm with the CentOS Community if there are dedicated drivers designed for the device on this system, or if it needs a special configuration.

Please bear in mind this is not supported by Western Digital, and I am only providing a suggestion.