WD MyPassport Ultra not working properly

Hey everyone, so I purchased this MyPassport Ultra about two months ago and actually maybe a month and a half ago it just decided to stop working properly out of nowhere.

Sometimes it appears in “My Computer,” my files and stuff appear fine when I access the driver for about a minute and then after that minute when I try to access those items, they just don’t work or they’re being “loaded” for the longest time. When it doesn’t apear in “My Computer,” it appears in “My Devices and Printers,” but it says that it is working fine, it won’t appear in Disk Management though. The USB port will say it’s unable to recognize the external harddrive and tells me to try reconnecting it and that it is possibly malfunctioned. Anyone have any idea what is wrong?

NotoriousGS wrote:

Hey everyone, so I purchased this MyPassport Ultra about two months ago and actually maybe a month and a half ago it just decided to stop working properly out of nowhere.

Sometimes it appears in “My Computer,” my files and stuff appear fine when I access the driver for about a minute and then after that minute when I try to access those items, they just don’t work or they’re being “loaded” for the longest time. When it doesn’t apear in “My Computer,” it appears in “My Devices and Printers,” but it says that it is working fine, it won’t appear in Disk Management though. The USB port will say it’s unable to recognize the external harddrive and tells me to try reconnecting it and that it is possibly malfunctioned. Anyone have any idea what is wrong?

Hi and welcome to the community. Have you tried using another USB cable? Also avoid using extension USB cables or USB hubs. To rule out any possible hardware damage  try running a DLG test, check the link below for the steps.

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows