Occasional Contributor
treyk
Accepted Solution

WD My Passport not showing up

Hey all,

I've had some frustrating problems with my external drive (P/N: WDBAMB7500ABK-00). Last night it worked perfectly, but today it isn't even showing up in disk management. It's taken a fall or two to the soft carpet floor from a height of about 16 inches, but I don't think this should be a problem. When I plug the drive in, the light comes on, and it beeps. It beeps five times, making a lower tone for about one second and a higher for about half a second, with a pause of about 1 second between each pair of beeps. Is this an error code?

I've tried plugging it into another computer, but it doesn't show up there either (it should be noted that said computer has very finicky USB ports). I'm using the cable that was included with the drive.

Should I be able to recover data from my drive? I have my music stored on it along with some photos and videos, and I'd really like to get these off.

Thanks for any help,

~Trey

Occasional Visitor
Berrissou

Re: WD My Passport not showing up

Occasional Visitor
jendean

Did you find a solution to your problem?  I think I have the very same issue.  How do we resolve it?

Community Manager
Bill_S

It's taken a fall or two to the soft carpet floor from a height of about 16 inches, but I don't think this should be a problem.

I'm sorry, but those 16 inches are more than enough to damage a drive beyond repair.  And more than once, it's a miracle it lasted this long.  Remember, a drive has a platter(s) spinning at more than 5,000 rpms.  If that head hits the platter, it can take chunks out of it destroying your data permanently.  An internal hard drive that's been dropped a mere half an inch can be seriously damaged.

Once a drive is running, you shouldn't even move it because of the wear stress that it produces on the spindle motor.  Spinning drives in both laptops and pcs that are moved around a lot can expect to have much higher and quicker failure rates.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Occasional Contributor
treyk

I figured that was the problem. I wasn't careful enough with that drive, for sure, and what you said I knew but didn't heed.

Oh well. It's an important lesson learned, if nothing less. I'll just have to wait til solid state becomes cheap enough, then I'll get a more durable drive.

Occasional Visitor
ReveredJedi

What in the hell is the point of it being portable then?! =(

Occasional Visitor
grazie

I also have the same problem. the western digital passport drive is not showing now. the other day, i was able to load music and pictures into it.

so frustrating. what could be done?

Occasional Contributor
Katzboy

If you find a solution please let me know.  I thought my problem was from removing the harddrive to quickly from the USB port but I now think this problem is because it slipped of the CPU tower and fell about 12 to 16 inches to a carpeted floor while still attached to the computer.   Hope we find a solution to recover our data............   

Occasional Visitor
Cols1

I'm definitely having the same problem with my Passport...I don't think mine has had any types of bangs or anything like that.  I keep it in a padded old makeup bag.  I too am desperate to get my data off this thing.  Did anyone find a solution on how to get that done?

Occasional Visitor
GlynG

OK, I'm a passport owner (several times over) PC, Mac and Linux OSs. Not an authorized tech but experienced enough. I've recovered three times now using Data Rescue  from Prosoft Engineering. You need another drive to recover to but it's way WAY less expensive than a dedicated recovery service. That usually runs $350-1200

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD