WD My Passport Ultra

When I bought this external hard drive I thought it would be the same principle as a memory stick or DVD for backing up files and that I’d click on the relevant drive (in my case ‘F’) and I would see a list of all my files, photos, etc.  This is not the case and I don’t know whether this is how it should be?  Also, I’m not sure I understand about ‘retrieving’ which I first took to mean ‘accessing’.  I carried out a retrieve expecting to see the files in a folder on my PC but I can’t find anything.  The back up appeared to take place (it took long enough).  So, can someone please help me to access my backed-up files, etc.  I’m using Windows 7.  Thanks.

Welcome to the Community.

The WD My Passport Ultra  itself  does indeed work like a flash drive/memory stick when copying files into it manually. You will be able to locate your hard drive in the computer section.

What you are describing seems to be WD SmartWare, which is a secondary (Optional) application for performing automatic backups as opposed to manual copies. For additional information related to WD SmartWare please visit the following link:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705057.pdf 

Hello Trancer

Thanks for your reply.  However, the link you gave is no longer available.  When I go to the computer section and click on the hard drive (F) it shows that there is information on it but when I click on it, my files don’t seem to be there.  There is a list of other stuff but the total is only around 4kb whereas my files come to around 22GB.  I don’t know what WD Smartware is but the drive I have says WD My Passport Ultra on the case.  Any other suggestions please?  Thanks