WD My Passport Ultra 2TB not detected PC

Hi,

I recently purchased couple of WD my passport 2 tb ultra drives but the drives are not being recognized when I connect them in front of the PC but they work fine when I connect to the actual USB port that are present on the back of the PC also installed SES driver too.Please,suggest any solutions.

Thank You:smiley:

Hi vikki, the front USB ports might not be providing enough energy for the Passport to work correctly. Be sure to connect the Passport using the USB cable that came bundled, since extension USB cables or USB hubs can cause power inconsistencies. 

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply and the suggestion the thing is that the bundled usb cable is so short the drive can’t be connected at the back end panel of the panel where the original ports from the motherboard reside at the back panel of the cpu.I noticed after checking in the cpu the front panel consists a usb hub.Is there any alternative like buying some extension cables or a USB Y cable ? If so which brand have power consistencies.Hope WD rectifies these usb cables in future they are so short.

Thank you :smiley:

Hi again, basically the longer the cable the less energy will get to the hard drive, this applies to any USB powered device. You can call tech support for a power booster cable, the problem is that you will loose the USB 3.0 transfer speeds, another option would be a powered USB hub. 

http://support.wd.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

1 Like

Can you please suggest links for some good brands for usb hubs? Is there any possible way to make my usb 2.0 pc to work with usb 3.0 speeds by any cables or expansion cards.Can you please clarify if an usb y cable such as below posted links work ?

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-dual-Micro-B-Cable-Black/dp/B005M0ICG2

Thank You

Hi again, sorry for the delay. Yes, there are several USB 3.0 PCI cards that you can install on your PC, do a search on Google to see several examples. USB 3.0 y cables are not supported, this doesn’t mean that they won’t work but it is not guaranteed they will. 

Hi,

Sorry for th late reply which would be a better choice of all the three 1.usb  hub 2. PCI card 3. A Y cable.Please suggest.

Thank You